cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Class C v/s Class B Addressing in a small switched network

ravi.malghan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi: I have a small network with about 3 edge switches and a core switch. About 100 users and one single VLAN. I am about to create a 3 separate VLANs. I have a few questions about IP Addressing.

Since I donot have any routers, does it matter if I use a Class C or Class B address? In other words I am trying to see if performance might be different if I use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 vs using 255.255.0.0 for all devices in the network.

Thanks

Ravi

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will make no difference with respect to performance per se. Assuming you're using RFC 1918 address ranges, use a Class A space it you'd like (10.x.x.x).

It would however behoove you for purpposes of address management to mask whatever network number you use down to an appropriate managable range - probably a /24 or /24 for a network that size.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

ekiriakos
Level 1
Level 1

You said that you don't have any routers. If you want inter-vlan communication you need a router.

Rgds

E.

Most switches characterized as "core" switches these days run IOS and have routing functionality built in.

Ravi - switch model and image name will tell us that ("sh ver" output).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card