cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

clear the terminal

bellocarico
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to clear the terminal when connected to a Cisco router/switch like the ^L does for Linux/Unix systems?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

you could also turn off the messages

R#no terminal monitor

R(config)#no logging console

for the time you configure the router.

Hope this helps

Martin

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Easy way to do this, is to hit enter key until it clears the previous outputs on the screen...

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I believe that there are two parts to answering this question. One part is the ability to do something on the router itself and the second part if the ability to do something in the terminal emulator used to access the router. I am not aware of anything we can do on the router itself to clear the screen of the terminal. But most of the terminal emulators have functions that can clear the contents of the screen and/or the scrollback buffer. And of course the suggestion from Sankar will produce a mostly enpty screen (empty except for the line of router prompts down the left side of the screen).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

bellocarico
Level 1
Level 1

Well, firs of all, thanks for the answers.

What I'm trying to do here is to clear the screen in situations when you type a long command and right in the middle you get an output on screen such as debug (e.g.)

So, if I type "enter" of course the command would not be completed, ans this could leat to misconfiguration if accepted.

If I clean the screen on the terminal, this will clean absolutely everything.

For both solution the answer is: type the command again.

In Linux Unix system, when something similar happens, with an easy ^L we can clean everything on screen but prompt + character digited since last enter.

Hi,

in this case you can use "?". It will give some output regarding the options you have and then reproduce the prompt and input you already had on a new line.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hi,

you could also turn off the messages

R#no terminal monitor

R(config)#no logging console

for the time you configure the router.

Hope this helps

Martin

Hello, Here is an alternate in case you need the debugging information, and don't want to turn it off. get into configuration mode for which line you are using (con, or VTY) and issue the logging synchronous command. this will show your debugging information and pass your half typed command to a clean prompt so you can complete what ever you were typing. Hope this helps.

Router#config t

Router#line vty 0 4

Router#logging synchronous

Router#end

Router#copy run start

You can use logging synchronous command to avoid the debug or log messages from interrpting your key in.

See this under Synchronizing Log Messages section,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801f0a4e.html

hope this will help!

Thankyou all!

The "logging syncronous" is what I was looking for.

Regards

So to confirm, if you are typing a command e.g. "show ip interface brief" and mid-way, you get some kind of notification which messes up your command?

There's an easy way to fix that - line the line section of the config, enter the command "logging synchronous" 

i.e.

Line vty 0 4 

Logging Sync

Line con 0

Logging Sync

This will force notifications to appear on a new line and not mess up your terminal. 

Sorry for the necro, but I think these generally do what you're suggesting:
Ctrl + L

-or-

Ctrl + i

Alex.M
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm a little late to the party but at least NX-OS supports Ctrl + O (the letter) to clear a screen.

Hth,

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card