Views
Helpful
Replies

Clock on NTP Master Always Falls Behind

ranjit123
Level 3
Level 3

Dear All,

We have configured our Core Router 7206 as NTP master which provides clocking to all the network devices (around 3000 devices ) in our Network.

NTP Source IP on the router is the GiG Interface, but we are facing a problem on it that the router always falls behind 5 to 10 mins of the current time.

We always have to correct it after 3 to 4 days.

when we check the NTP status it shows syncronized but it still falls behind.

Kindly suggest any workaround so that the router clock does not fall behind.

Regards,

Ranjit.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Firstly I will never recommend anyone to make an appliance as an NTP master.  I've never used this command.

Secondly, where is the router getting an authoritative NTP source from?

Router takes the Authorative clock from its self clock.

Also what is the solution when reference clock is not allowed to be taken from external NTP servers???

Regards,

Ranjit

Ranjit

The built in clock of a Cisco router is not particularly accurate. That is one reason why it is not usually recommended to set a router as NTP master. I am not clear why your router can not learn NTP from an external NTP server. If there is some policy reason that prevents Internet access for NTP then you may be able to install something that would provide accurate time locally. This link might be a place to start:

http://www.symmetricom.com/products/ntp-servers/ntp-network-appliances/

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Router takes the Authorative clock from its self clock.

I'm with Rick.  This is the reason why I don't use "NTP master" command.  The components of a router is like a stand-alone computer.  The clock mechanism is software driven and therefore prone to inaccurate readings in the short-to-medium term.

Look for a GPS server which can be used as an authoritative NTP server if your network is not allowed to go out to the internet.   There are a significant number of vendors that can do this.  You can get one that's the size of your palm to one that you can rack mount (usually 1 RU).

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card