Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Combining bandwidths on a router

The local ISP provides cheaper WAn links in the form of ADSL links, the cost of which is usually 1/3 of the leased MPLS based links.

Both of these terminate on the ethernet interfaces of a router.

I was wondering, if I can combine 3-4 ADSL links of about 4MB each to give me a total of 16Mb capacity for diverting my internal HTTP/SMTP traffic only, what kind of router setup should I be looking at?

How can my design cater to at least load balance the outgoing traffic across all 4 ADSL links while maintaining the incoming connections across the route?

Is there an extra equipment that needs to deployed apart from a router (2811 probably) with an extra HWIC of 4 FE ports?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Combining bandwidths on a router

HI Fahim, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

Please find the attachment having the details of Configuring Multilink P - to - P Method and its limitations for your reference.

If your LINK are Internet - Type, also from the Same Provider (ISP), request them to Bundle the LINK's at their side also.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS => Use the RATING System

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

3 REPLIES

HI Fahim, [Pls Rate if HELPS]

The hardware is enough to support your requirement.

You can go for a "MULTILINK" concept. With Multilink the links are bundled and the traffic is carried over it.

This is a per-packet or per-destination load balancing. But in a Multilink the actual traffic is equally loaded on all the links that are bundled in the MLPPP.

Hope I am informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thanks Prasad, would take a look at this concept in detail, although a quick search for Multilink on Cisco site yielded Multilink results for all sorts of configuration and link classes. Can you pls help me identify the pertinant link?

So, using multilink, I effectively do away with using / enabling GLBP or HSRP/VRRP over any of my interfaces?

and, does enabling multilink on my router, requires me to involve the ISP side in any way?

HI Fahim, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

Please find the attachment having the details of Configuring Multilink P - to - P Method and its limitations for your reference.

If your LINK are Internet - Type, also from the Same Provider (ISP), request them to Bundle the LINK's at their side also.

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS => Use the RATING System

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content