Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

communication between a GBIC LX module and an SPF SX module

Is it possible to have a GBIC LX module talk to an SPF SX module across mutimode fiber?

5 REPLIES

Re: communication between a GBIC LX module and an SPF SX module

No, they cannot, unless you use a converter. They use differnt wavelengths, freq's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

PS: Please remember to rate replies!

Community Member

thanks, what is this converter? Is it something Cisco provides and if so do you know what it is?

I am not aware of a product that Cisco makes which does this, unless you use a Cisco switch with LX gbic and SX gbic and then connect the remote ends via fiber to these gbics (extra hop through this switch).

Also take a look at this third party converter.

http://www.netoptics.com/products/product_family_details.asp?cid=5&pid=59&Section=products&menuitem=5

Just google on SX to LX converter and you will find many links like above.

HTH

PS: Please remember to rate helpful replies!

Community Member

I will do that...one last question..the incompatibility is not because one is a GBIC and one is an SPF but just that one is an LX and one is an SX correct?

Gold

You are correct. It's not the physical shape of the optical transceiver, but rather the difference in wavelengths used (Gigabit SX=850nm, LX/LH=1300nm) that causes the problem.

Although physical shape does play a role when you go to install the component: you can't put an SFP in a GBIC slot, and you can't put a GBIC in an SFP slot.

I have several switch-to-router and switch-to-switch connections where there is an SFP at one end of the link (newer equipment), and a GBIC at the other end (older equipment). As long as the optical transceivers at each end use the same wavelength, and the fiber patch cable has appropriate connectors for each end (LC for SFP, and SC for GBIC), you can connect SFPs to GBICs.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content