cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Comparing 4506 QOS to 7206 QOS

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 7206-VXR/NPE-G1 router with QOS applied to one of the gig ports. This gig port is subinterfaced and shaped to 100mbps, then a policy map is applied to prioritize voice (LLQ) and uses 'bandwidth' for video and call control.

However I need to get real GIG speed and the 7206 won't do that so I am moving to the 4506 with a Sup V-10GE.

How do I do in the 4506 what I am doing int the 7206 - or can I?

Here is the appropriate 7206 config that I need to have the 4506 do:

class-map match-any Call-Control

match ip dscp cs3

class-map match-any Video

match ip dscp af41

class-map match-any Voice

match ip dscp ef

policy-map WAN-100MB-speed_with_10MB_voice

class class-default

shape average 99920000

service-policy QOS_classes_6Video_110voice

policy-map QOS_classes_6Video_110voice

class Voice

priority 10000

class Call-Control

bandwidth 500

class Video

bandwidth 3220

class class-default

fair-queue

random-detect

Questions:

1. Can I subinterface gig ports on the 4506, either on the Sup-V or on the line cards?

2. Can I shape the interface/subinterface and then apply a policy map for LLQ'ing?

3. Can I use 'priority' and 'bandwidth' statements?

I've tried wading through the 4506 documentation, but if someone could translate the 7206 QOS stuff over to the 4506 that would save me a lot of time and headache.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

shaping can be done, but afaik only at port level and only per queue (4 queues available). Have a look at the command reference for the shape command:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080731d42.html#wp2011660

So you might not be able to achieve your previous QoS policy.

Also check the QoS config guide and search for shape. Switches do not offer the QoS flexibility of CPU based routers.

Regards, Martin

Regards, Martin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

generally speaking: this requires some headache ;-)

Seriously, the hardware architecture is quite different and thus QoS looks different. Also the Switches do not support all QoS features of the CPU based routers.

A1) You can use VLAN interfaces for routing

A2) No, afaik.

A3) No and Yes; queueing implementation is completely different, additional commands are needed and copy and paste will not work.

Given all this, have a look at "Enterprise QoS Solution Reference Network Design Guide Version 3.3"

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns432/c649/ccmigration_09186a008049b062.pdf

and especially the section on 4500 Catalyst. Or pick one of the latest 4500 config guides, there is a whole chapter on QOS. Maybe the quickest way to get the informations.

I would not recommend to just copy and paste something from a forum post into production environment in this case, without understanding, what it does.

Hope this helps, nevertheless.

Regards, Martin

I understand about the dangers of cut and paste and certainly heed your warning about that.

One last question if I may - actually expanding on #1.

The reason I need to subinterface is this gig port is connecting into a Metropolitan Optical Ethernet (MOE) backbone at a gig speed. We have several remote sites which connect into the MOE at only 100mpbs speed so there is a speed miss-match. These are all layer-3 routed links with /30 subnets on them.

For example:

4506 G1/0.10 166.3.1.1/30 -----> 1.2/30 Fe0 router #2

4506 G1/0.20 166.3.1.5/30 -----> 1.6/30 Fe0 router #3

4506 G1/0.30 166.3.1.9/30 -----> 1.10/30 Fe0 router #4

So I need to shape down the traffic going through G1/0.10 (if I can subinterface) to 10mbps to match the interface speed of Fe0 at the remote sites.

You answer my first question with "You can use VLAN interfaces for routing". Are you saying I cannot subinterface like I need to in the 4506?

Am I not able to shape the traffic to match speeds?

Thanks.

Hi,

shaping can be done, but afaik only at port level and only per queue (4 queues available). Have a look at the command reference for the shape command:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080731d42.html#wp2011660

So you might not be able to achieve your previous QoS policy.

Also check the QoS config guide and search for shape. Switches do not offer the QoS flexibility of CPU based routers.

Regards, Martin

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card