Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuration and Implementation steps in Low Level Design

mahmoudalsheemy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

i just want to ask why we should put the implementation steps and some of configurations portions of proposed technical design in Low Level Design document. as long as the people in the site are Technical then no need to add such information and just give them the Config. file of the device (show run) at the end of the project. and just we state that the solution will be by specific technology without how (e.g: will deploy BGP).

i see that in LLD of Cisco that they give the solution implementation steps with config. portion.

can anyone give me a rigid justification why we need to include such information in LLD.

Regards

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

Genrally for low level desiging defination as network administrtaor it is bible for any project with low level steps and clear understanding of whole setup so that a layman can also do the configuration based on the low level designing document,Low level design (LLD) is the basic blueprint for deploying the solution in production. It should provide enough detail so that anyone with a fundamental knowledge of the products can follow the LLD and configure the systems properly.

Hope that clear out your query!!

If helpful do rate the valuable post.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mahmoudalsheemy wrote:

Hi All,

i just want to ask why we should put the implementation steps and some of configurations portions of proposed technical design in Low Level Design document. as long as the people in the site are Technical then no need to add such information and just give them the Config. file of the device (show run) at the end of the project. and just we state that the solution will be by specific technology without how (e.g: will deploy BGP).

i see that in LLD of Cisco that they give the solution implementation steps with config. portion.

can anyone give me a rigid justification why we need to include such information in LLD.

Regards

and just we state that the solution will be by specific technology without how (e.g: will deploy BGP).

That is a high level design approach. In the HLD it is fine, for example, to say we are using BGP with conditional advertising. But in the LLD you then have to provide all the details as to how this will work. If you don't then how will the technical people know what to implement ? A LLD is a document that should give detailed steps as to how you want the configuration to be. Without this detail you are reliant on the local engineers implementing it just as you designed it and with the best will in the world this doesn't always happen. And if the design is not implemented as you intended then it won't work.

An LLD is often produced after you have labbed it up and tested it yourself and so including the configs should not be such a big deal. At the last place i worked for when we did the bigger designs we actually got one of the implementation engineers involved with this phase ie. setting up the lab and testing. Then when it came to implementation that engineer was in charge at the local site. Worked well for us.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card