Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 1841 with PTP T1

matlsmith
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings:

Let me first explain to you our current setup.

We have two locations that have a PTP T1 connecting the two.

Location A has DSL internet, Location B does not.

I want to be able to access DSL from Location B.

I figure that this is possible with the T1 Line. By having the DSL Plugged into the Cisco 1841 router at Location A then having the second 1841 at Location B, I figure we should be able to get out on the internet via that method.

We have a CSU/DSU T1 card in the two modular routers.

Would this setup work, and is there anyother equipment that would be needed for this to work?

You might be asking why not just go with a full T1 with internet service, but thers about a $1500/month difference between that and the PTP T1 method I've described.

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Howdy,

You don't have a default route on the 1841 at location A, for starters... There are some other things, but let's just start with this.

Add a route as follows:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 (if that's the address of the DSL modem)

You are pinging from the 1841 router, are you ?

Paresh

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

What you are proposing is certainly possible and in fact, quite a commonly used scenario.

You do not need any other equipment apart from what you have. To get this working, you need to configure Network Address Translation (NAT) on the 1841 at location A. The use of NAT will allow you to translate any private IP addressing you are using into globally unique addresses.

Here is a list of things you should do:

- Firstly, I presume you already have IP addressing configured at both your locations. If not, assign IP addresses at the two locations out of the RFC1918 private ranges: 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16

- configure your PCs (hosts) at each site with a gateway address that points to the router's LAN IP address

- set up the T1 controller at both your locations, make sure the line comes up and assign IP addresses at both ends

- once you have done that, configure your router at location B with a static default route that points to the IP address of the serial interface at router A

- on router A, configure your LAN interface and the serial interface as inside NAT interfaces

- on router A, configure the DSL ATM interface as an outside NAT interface

- configure a NAT overload translation on router A that will translate source addresses within the range used at location B to the public address associated with your DSL interface (ensure you use the overload keyword so that port translation will also take place).

That should just about do it....

If you need help with the actual configuration, just let us know...

Hope that helps - pls rate posts that help.

Regards,

Paresh

Hi,

I should add that you will also need a static route for the network at route A for location B's network...

Paresh

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Just to make sure I have this clear, Router A should be in a different IP range than Router B?

For example

Router A would have a IP of 10.10.5.1 and Router B would have 10.10.10.1.

If you have a configuration that you think would be useful for this, I would appreciate it, if I could see it.

Thank you

That is correct.

In a routed world, all distinct link-layer segments have to be distinct subnets.

Your example is correct provided you use a mask such as 255.255.255.0 ...

Here's a sample config for you (you will need to change things such as the T1 parameters and addressing to suit you):

Router A

========

controller t1 0/0/0

framing esf

linecode ami

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-24

!

interface fastethernet0/0

ip address 10.10.5.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

!

interface atm0/1/0

no ip address

!

interface atm0/1/0.32

ip address 203.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

ip nat outside

pvc 1/32

encapsulation aal5snap

vbr-nrt 256 256 1

!

interface serial0/0/0:1

ip address 10.20.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

encapsulation ppp

!

ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 serial0/0/0:1

!

ip nat inside source list 1 interface atm0/1/0.32 overload

!

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255

!

PC Configuration:

IP Address: 10.10.5.x

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.10.5.1

Router B

========

controller t1 0/0/0

framing esf

linecode ami

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-24

!

interface fastethernet0/0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

!

interface serial0/0/0:1

ip address 10.20.1.2 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial0/0/0:1

!

PC Configuration:

IP Address: 10.10.10.x

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.10.10.1

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Hope that helps.

Paresh.

Thank you for your help.

I'm gonna start configuration tommorrow on it.

Never really done a whole lot with the WAN enviroment.

If I have anymore questions I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Ok, heres what I got so far.

I can ping both routers now over the T1, however I can't ping the actual router IP.

For example I'll be at location B and I can ping 10.20.1.1 but when I try to pin 10.10.5.1 its a no go, and vice versa, I can be at location A and ping Router B, but can't ping 10.10.10.1

Also we changed one thing, instead of having the DSL modem plug straight into the router its going into a router first....its your average soho router, plug n play type of thing.

So I was thinking I might need to config the internet part of it a bit differently.

I gave the router that sits between the 1841 and the DSL modem a IP of 10.10.0.1, and the DSL modem itself has a IP Of 192.168.1.1.

I may be wrong but will I need to add a static route at location A of 10.10.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 ?

so that router B trying to get out will hit router A then the router between router A and the DSL modem, then it gets out through the DSL modem.

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate...

Would you be able to post the configs you've got so far.. makes it a bit easier to troubleshoot..

Thanks,

Paresh

yeah...I'll have to post it tommorrow though...I'm not in the office anymore now.

I would like to mention that I am using SDM instead of CLI configuration.

I'll get those configs up for you tommorrow though.

Thanks

No probs.. what you are doing is certainly achievable.

Also, try and see if you can get the CLI configs since they are a bit more useful when troubleshooting.

Paresh

CLI configs as in

show running-config

and

show startup-config

correct?

Yep - show running-config should be fine...

Also, one more thing.. the DSL modem you have got does NAT, right ?

Paresh

yes it does.

I'll get the configs up tommorrow..

thanks

Ok, heres the configs.

Location A:

http://webmesto.net/loca.txt

Location B:

http://webmesto.net/locb.txt

Also heres a update on what I have so far.

I can ping across both T1 interfaces fine, including the LAN interface...for example I can ping 10.10.5.1 from 10.10.10.1 and vice versa...the part I'm working on now is getting out through the DSL modem.

Heres what I just got back from.

At location a

DSL -> SOHO Router -> 1841 -> T1

Location B

T1 -> 1841 -> Switch

Using the above config I was having problems getting past the SOHO router...so I switched it up like this

Location A

DSL Modem -> 1841 Ethernet 0/1 -> T1

SOHO Router -> 1841 Ethernet 0/0

Location B remains the same

I can ping the DSL modem (192.168.1.1)...and if I ping google.com I get

Pinging google.com (64.x.x.x)

Request timed out

""

""

""

So I know I'm getting out know, as far as being able to resolve domain names, but I can't ping anything past the DSL modem.

For ease of configuration I created ACL's allowing all conections inbound and outbound on the interfaces allowed.

The configs might not be completely correct, as I modified a few things a while ago.

As I said before I can ping the DSL modem, I can do a ping google.com and it tells me the IP address of google, but cannot ping it...I'm close I belive...probably missing something stupid.

Thanks

Howdy,

You don't have a default route on the 1841 at location A, for starters... There are some other things, but let's just start with this.

Add a route as follows:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 (if that's the address of the DSL modem)

You are pinging from the 1841 router, are you ?

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card