Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring 2801

kthned
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

I need to configure a router for my company. we require 3 fast ethernet port with one serial link .So, please suggest me that if this configuration is right

Cisco 2801 2801 w/AC PWR,2FE,4slots(2HWIC),2PVDM,2AIM,IP BASE,64F/128D

WIC-1T= 1-Port Serial WAN Interface Card

HWIC-4ESW= Four port 10/100 Ethernet switch interface card

Or give me other suggestions

Thanks

9 Replies 9

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

the second module which you have mentioned is a switch module wherein u cant configure 3 different induvidual ip address on them.

instead you will be able to create three different VLANs and you can have ip address configured under them (whichs again SVI)..

i thnk this link will help u out to find out mroe on the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00802c6bb6.html#wp1046684

regds

Thanks for your kind reply.

That mean my configuration has error. But i need my all three ports on different ip address.I dont want Vlan here

Can you please tell me the config of any router containing 3 ethernet ports and one serial.

Thanks again

hi

you can check out something like 2610XM model which can accomodate single WIC card as well as 4 port ethernet card .

On that you can make use of 3 of the ethernet ports.

It does comes with a onboard 10/100 fastethernet port..

Chassis CIS2610XM-TS

SLOT0 NM-4E= (4-Port Ethernet Network Module)

WAN SLOT0 WIC-1T= (1-Port Serial WAN Interface Card)

WAN SLOT1 Empty --- Future Use.

hope this helps...

regds

Thanks Kumar and others.

If i go with 2610XM with NM-4E, than i get 4x10 Mbps ether port but i need atleast one FE port(100Mbps). So is FE port comes builtin with 2610XM.

Thanks

Hello,

if you do not want to use the HWIC in connection with VLANs, you need to get another router, as the 2801 only has the two onboard 10/100 interfaces, and it doesn't support the network modules required to extend the amount of FastEthernet interfaces.

You could go with the 3825 and the following specs:

3825 w/AC PWR, 2GE,1SFP, 2NME, 4HWIC, IP Base, 64F/256D

and get a NM-2FE2W, which would give you two additional FastEthernet interfaces. Be aware though that the list price for the 3825 is almost 5 times as high as for the 2801 (US$1950 vs US$9500).

Depending on the amount of traffic and amount of users on your network, you could also use secondary addressing on your onboard FastEthernet interfaces...

Regards,

GP

I'm not sure I agree.

Aside from the obvious configuration differences, I'm not sure how configuring an SVI within the 2800, and making the ethernet port an access port (rather than trunk) and assigning the ethernet port to the same vlan as the SVI, is any different functionally than the usual approach of assigning an ip directly to the interface.

Vlan, in this context does not have to mean 802.1q trunking. These interfaces can be configured as dot1q trunks but don't have to be.

Thanks Kumar and others.

If i go with 2610XM with NM-4E, than i get 4x10 Mbps ether port but i need atleast one FE port(100Mbps). So is FE port comes builtin with 2610XM.

Waiting for your reply.

Thanks

Hi

It comes with an onboard FE port which can serve your purpose..

regds

Thanks Kumar and others a lot for directing me to the right direction.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card