Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a backup Sup2 module for Cisco 6509

shivani.sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a cisco 6509 in production and its giving the DRAM memory errors, which according to cisco should go away if we reseat the DRAM DIMM. But I want to make sure we have a backup plan in case something goes wrong when this re-seating is done. I have a spare sup2 chasis and I was thinking of configuring it and use it in case I encounter any issues while the DRAM reseating and the current Sup2 do not come up. I do not see any document on cisco site to configure a Sup2 for replacement. Could anyone confirm what steps I need to follow in order to make sure I have everything configured in my backup sup2? Below is what I think I should be doing, please confirm if there is anything else I need to do..

1. Backup the current config from L3 and L2 of current sup2.

2. On spare do copy tftp startup-config for moving L3 config.

3. On spare do copy tftp bootflash: for moving L2 config

4. run this command on spare: set boot auto-config bootflash:<config file name>

Turn down the spare switch and remove the sup2 chassis and put it in the primary switch.

Could anyone please confirm, if I need to do anything else other than above? And if above steps are correct?

Also, did anyone experience or know if re-seating or replacing the DRAM on 6509 whould have any high risks?

Do cisco have any official document which gives a step by step instructions on this procedure?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hi shivani,

I understood like: You have a 6509 already live and you have another 6509 with Sup2. If so your steps are seems to be correct. but there is another way
also.

you can insert your spare sup into running switch and prepare it by copying IOS and config file from primary to standby sup engine. (make sure secondary sup is in standby hot mode by running command "show redundancy")
It is upto you where you want to copy your file ...like you can run "sh file system " on you switch after inserting standby sup and decide where you want
to copy files.

like: copy startup-config stby-bootflash or to disk0 etc...
also to minimize downtime you can switchover switch to standby sup once everything is ready and then go ahead to reseat DRAM DIMM.

unfortunately i am not having any 6509 switch otherwise i could have tested the same.

hope this helps

regards

mahesh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hi shivani,

I understood like: You have a 6509 already live and you have another 6509 with Sup2. If so your steps are seems to be correct. but there is another way
also.

you can insert your spare sup into running switch and prepare it by copying IOS and config file from primary to standby sup engine. (make sure secondary sup is in standby hot mode by running command "show redundancy")
It is upto you where you want to copy your file ...like you can run "sh file system " on you switch after inserting standby sup and decide where you want
to copy files.

like: copy startup-config stby-bootflash or to disk0 etc...
also to minimize downtime you can switchover switch to standby sup once everything is ready and then go ahead to reseat DRAM DIMM.

unfortunately i am not having any 6509 switch otherwise i could have tested the same.

hope this helps

regards

mahesh

Mahesh,

Thanks for your response. I will try the option you suggested.

Thank you.

Shivani

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card