cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a Catalyst 3500 series XL switch

saluser01
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network working with a Catalyst 3500 series XL switch. The current connection is DSL modem -> Computer working as a Firewall -> Catalyst -> 7 Pcs and 4 printers with manually assigned IP addresses.

Now I want to change to the following schema: DSL modem -> Linksys VPN router working as DHCP and firewall -> Wireless linksys router working as Access Point for Laptops -> Catalyst -> 7 PCs and 4 printers configured as "Obtain IP Address automatically".

My question is what do I have to do in the Catalyst switch to configure it as mentioned above (now taking its IP address from the VPN router) and what do I need to do that? Is just a matter of unplugging the cable that currently goes to the firewall computer and plugging it to the new Access Point?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

A switch, like the 3500 XL series is a layer two switch. If you remove the host firewall/router you can replace it with the linksys vpn/access point/router. Just plug the cable into your switch from the linksys and you'll be good.

As long as no routing is required within the swith i.e. different VLANs. It would not require any aditional configuration.

HTH

Leon

* Please rate useful posts.

In other words and to be sure I understand correctly:

I can leave the switch as it is (with their manually assigned IPs) connected to the VPN router and have the VPN router working as an DHCP server for the computers needing an IP address?

About switch ports, can I use any of them to connect routers and computers, or there is something I have to take care of?

Thanks

Hi,

You are correct. You shouldn't have to do any configuration on the switch. The static IPs would be configured on the actual nodes, and not on the switch. As someone said earlier, the switch ia a layer 2 device; therefore, it has no interest in IP addresses.

Regarding switchports; providing you are not using port security, multiple VLANs, or haven't manually disabled any of them, then ; as far as I know, you should be able to use any of the switchports to connect your devices.

Okay. Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

Best Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card