cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Configuring a Pseudowire Between 3800 router and ME3600X

Hello,

I am currently running a few L2TPv3 Pseudowires across my network. Our carrier uses MPLS, but my side of the network is not MPLS enabled.

I wouild like to buy a router with a lot of ethernet ports and no WAN slots as I have no use for them anymore...I am evaluating an ME 3600X switch. I noticed that it only supports MPLS encapsulation for Pseudowires. From my understanding, this is only for MPLS enbabled networks and that I should be using L2TPv3?

Basically, is there anyway that I can run a Pseudowire across a standard IP network between a 3800 series router and the 3600 ME switch? If so, are there any configuration examples that you can point me to?

Thanks,

Phill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hello Phillip,

Unfortunatelly ME3600 platlform doesn't support L2TPv3 tunneling, the only supported option is port-based EoMPLS which requires MPLS infrasturture on the upstream interface.

I would suggest you to evalute the option with EoMPLSoGRE tunneling which could be used over IP dataplane, but still ME3600 is not suitable for it.

The best option is to consult with your local account team in order to get the most suitable design in your case.

Thank you

-- 
Best regards,
Dmitry Skotnikov

-- Best regards, Dmitry Skotnikov
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello Phillip,

Unfortunatelly ME3600 platlform doesn't support L2TPv3 tunneling, the only supported option is port-based EoMPLS which requires MPLS infrasturture on the upstream interface.

I would suggest you to evalute the option with EoMPLSoGRE tunneling which could be used over IP dataplane, but still ME3600 is not suitable for it.

The best option is to consult with your local account team in order to get the most suitable design in your case.

Thank you

-- 
Best regards,
Dmitry Skotnikov

-- Best regards, Dmitry Skotnikov

Thanks for your reply.

This helps me out a lot...

Looks like I will end up using a 3945 router to fill the role.

The ME 3600 is a cool switch though.

Phill

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content