cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Frame-Relay and the Frame-Relay Switch To Participate in WAN Routing

Adam Sorenson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

My WAN in my voice lab is currently functional between all of my routers HQ, BR1, and BR1 with full-mesh connectivity.  I am using my PSTN router for the frame-relay switching as is shown in the attached configs.  I have used the connect commands for the PVC routing logic.  

connect HQ-BR1 Serial0/3/0 101 Serial0/2/0 201 
 !
!
connect HQ-BR2 Serial0/3/0 102 Serial0/2/1 301 
 !
!
connect BR1-BR2 Serial0/2/0 202 Serial0/2/1 302 

My question concerns the possibility of getting the PSTN router to participate in the WAN and the OSPF routing process?  The connect command tells how the PVCs are to be connected and pass through the PSTN router.  Is there anyway to do it so that a PVC connects to the PSTN router itself?

I would specifically like to create a connection between the HQ and PSTN router over the WAN.  If anyone has any insight on this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adam,

you don't need to do FR switching.

You just need to configure a back to back PVC associated to a p2p subinterface under PSTN router interface se0/3/0 and HQ:se0/1/0. the new PVC can be 103 on both sides

PSTN

interface ser0/3/0.103 point-to-point

ip address 10.1.13.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 103

HQ

interface ser0/1/0.103 point-to-point

ip address 10.1.13.1 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 103

note: I was able to do this using the older syntax frame-relay route under interface configuration on frame relay switch. I would expect to work for you too with newer syntax connect.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Nish Vamadevan
Level 1
Level 1

Have a look at my explanation of Frame-Relay here... 

www.nish.com/2009/09/frame-relay-config/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card