cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring ssh access with putty

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.I'm trying to configure ssh access with putty and puttygen.

I'm using this document http://glennmatthys.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/ssh-with-key-authentication-on-cisco-ios-devices/

I've configured everything correctly but the router refuses to connect.

I'm wondering If I haven't configured enough In terms of enabling ssh.

I've created a domain-name,username ,password  and enabled ssh and telnet on the vty line (transport input telnet ssh).I know when I generate an rsa key ssh Is enabled but It Is not enabled when I create an ip ssh pubkey-chain.

I guess my question Is what further configuration Is  needed apart from that listed In the linked document ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I assumed this was the way you should configure It when using putty.

By router name do you mean the Hostname ?

Why would you use a special config depending upon client as ssh is an open standard, so get rid of what you posted above and generate the crypto key and yes the router name is the hostname command.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

If SSH is disabled then that it why the router refuses to connect using SSH. SSH remains disabled until RSA keys are generated.

You can coordinate the key between the router and the PC running putty. But the router is the server in this connection and the PC is the client. And the key is generated on the server and not on the client.

Yes the router name is the hostname command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have not listed a router name as something that you have configured and a unique router name is required to activate SSH. And I am not clear whether you have actually done the crypto key generate which generates the RSA keys which are also required.

Based on what you have given us so far it is possible that the problem is an issue on the router and it is possible that it is some access issue getting to the router. A good place to start to clarify this would be to post the output of show ip ssh.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

SSH Disabled

Please create RSA keys.

I didn't generate RSA keys because I entered the key from putty.

ip ssh pubkey-chain

username admin

key-string ip ssh pubkey-chain
username admin
  key-string

I then entered the key generated In putty.

Hi,

Why would you use a special config depending upon client as ssh is an open standard, so get rid of what you posted above and generate the crypto key and yes the router name is the hostname command.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

If SSH is disabled then that it why the router refuses to connect using SSH. SSH remains disabled until RSA keys are generated.

You can coordinate the key between the router and the PC running putty. But the router is the server in this connection and the PC is the client. And the key is generated on the server and not on the client.

Yes the router name is the hostname command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for the Information!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card