cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring vlans on the catalyst 3550

nealleslie
Level 1
Level 1

We have an office of about 90 users that have been having some qos issues with their voip phones (we're having about 10 ip phones off of the pbx).   I want to create a vlan for their phone system and their phone system internet router.    Currently, they have a catalyst 3550 as well as a couple of hp procurve switches.  

My first question is will it hurt to leave everyone on the default vlan1 and just create a separate vlan (maybe vlan10) for the phone system?  or i should i disable vlan1 and create a separate vlan for everyone else as well.

My second question is related to routing traffic between the 2 vlans.   Am i going to have to put static routes for both vlans on my catalyst? 

One subnet is 10.11.240.x and the other one might be 10.11.241.x.  So if vlan2 is most of the offfice and vlan 10 is my phone system, would i have to do a route statement to get traffic between the 2 vlans or just enable ip routing?

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nealleslie wrote:

We have an office of about 90 users that have been having some qos issues with their voip phones (we're having about 10 ip phones off of the pbx).   I want to create a vlan for their phone system and their phone system internet router.    Currently, they have a catalyst 3550 as well as a couple of hp procurve switches.  

My first question is will it hurt to leave everyone on the default vlan1 and just create a separate vlan (maybe vlan10) for the phone system?  or i should i disable vlan1 and create a separate vlan for everyone else as well.

My second question is related to routing traffic between the 2 vlans.   Am i going to have to put static routes for both vlans on my catalyst? 

One subnet is 10.11.240.x and the other one might be 10.11.241.x.  So if vlan2 is most of the offfice and vlan 10 is my phone system, would i have to do a route statement to get traffic between the 2 vlans or just enable ip routing?

It's recommended not to use vlan 1 for end users so it would be best to have 2 vlans , one for data and one for voice.

If you are doing the inter-vlan routing on the 3550 switch then you don't need static routes because the networks will be directly connected so all you have to do is -

1) create the vlans at L2  eg.

3550(config)# vlan 10

3550(config)# vlan 20

2) create L3 interfaces for the L2 vlans -

3550(config)# int vlan 10

3550(config)# ip address x.x.x.x

same for vlan 20 with different subnet obviously

3) enable "ip routing"

you then simply allocate ports into the relevant vlan and set the default-gateway on the clients to their respective vlan interface IP address.

Jon

then for my hp procurve going into the catalyst i would trunk the 2 ports (one on the catalyst and the corresponding port on the hp procurve) correct?

nealleslie wrote:

then for my hp procurve going into the catalyst i would trunk the 2 ports (one on the catalyst and the corresponding port on the hp procurve) correct?

Correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: