cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confused with show commands and router config

Googi1974
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts - Firstly thanks for the patience involved in answering my questions. I've only recently started working with our 3825 gateway and I am hoping to gain more understanding, and my coworkers are not able to answer my questions. I've studied the command reference guides, but they don't really explain the why/differences in what I see, just the expected output. I've attached a file with the output of 3 commands and have the following questions:

show int

show controllers

show controllers t1

1. Regarding "show int" why are these (Serial0/1/0:0 - Serial0/1/0:22 is down) reported down but Serial0/1/0:23 is up, shouldn't they ALL be "up"? Don't they take calls / data?

and also, why isn't listing for 0/1/1 the same? Instead I see Serial0/1/1:1 is up, but no details for Serial0/1/1:0 - Serial0/1/1:22. What's the difference?

2. for "show controllers" I get only listings for GigabitEthernet0/0, GigabitEthernet0/1, Interface Serial0/1/0:23, Interface Serial0/1/1:1, Interface Serial0/2/0:23.

two questions - why no details for the individual ds0's like in "show int" (Serial0/1/0:0 - Serial0/1/0:22)? These are not considered "controllers" I can presume? So then, can you please articulate the difference between a controller and an interface?

3. Finally, only when I issue "show controllers t1" do I see a listing for T1 0/2/1, why did this not show up in "show controllers command?

Thanks so much for your help.

Kelly

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kelly,

1) your router is using the two different T1 links T1 0/1/0 and T1 0/1/1 in two different ways.

T1 0/1/0 is used as an ISDN PRI = primary rate interface.

In this case ser0/1/0:23 is the D channel used for Q.921 and Q.931 signalling to the ISDN switch.

ser0/1/0:1-22 are the bearer channels that are used only on demand for outgoing or incoming voice calls.

You can see some of them up during calls

see description Local-PRI in sh controller T1 output

Instead T1 0/1/1 is used as a data link: some channel B DS0 are grouped in group 1.

The result is a single logical object named serial0/1/1:1 they are seen as a single pipe.

see description T1-LINK-TO-WDC in sh contr T1.

2)

if a T1 or E1 controller is left unconfigured as probably is t1 0/2/1 no logical object is created for it.

As explained above on primary ISDN links the bearer channels are less meaningful then the D channel (:23) so they are not considered in these outputs.

A controller is more related to an hardware, here actually the only controllers of real interest are the T1.

An interface can be a logical object that depending on the underlaying controller configuration can have different meanings:

data link: ser0/1/1:1 it is the whole pipe made of all or part of the B channels

ISDN PRI: ser0/1/0:23 is the signalling channel used for outband signaling to PSTN. B channels are slaves used with a circuit switching logic (one B channel for each voice conversation, multiple B channels if using ISDN for data)

3) as stated above your T1 0/2/1 is probably unconfigured and down

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you very much Giuseppe!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card