Helpful
Replies

Confused with subnetting activity help

Centripucoloso
Level 1
Level 1

I am compliting this packet tracert activity

http://dc314.4shared.com/doc/jfFG54Ta/preview.html

I have started subnetting. the activity ask to create 7 subnets, The problem is that it wants 60 hosts in one subnet, 30 in another and so for. When I calculate I only get an even number per subnet for instances 16 host per subnet can anybody explain how can I distribute the hosts through the subnets?

Tahnk you.

10 Replies 10

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

when you Subnet a prefix, you always get a certain amount of hosts per subnet, depending on the bits left as 0 in the subnet mask, although u could sometimes sacrifice the total number of Subnets u get with subnetting by supper netting some blocks or ranges, but again it depends on the situation.

perhaps if you write the task (ip/mask) u have to do here, we can help u better.

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Thank you soroushm

The task is as below there are three tasks to do. the devices used are

R1-ISPFa0/0

N/A
S0/0/0

R2-CentralFa0/0

N/A
S0/0/0

PC 1ANIC

PC 1BNIC

Eagle Server

NIC

R1-ISP, R2-central PC1a PC1b, S1-Central and the Eagle server. I subnet it to 8 subnet but I got 16 host per subnet. I would like to know the process on how we can devide it according to the tasks requirements.

Thank you the Tasks are below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task 1: IP Subnet Planning

You have been given an IP address block of 192.168.23.0 /24. You must provide for existing networks as well as future growth.

Subnet assignments are (assuming

ip subnet-zero

is enabled):

• 1st subnet, existing student LAN (off of router R2-Central), up to 60 hosts;
  • 2nd subnet, future student LAN, up to 28 hosts;
  • 3rd subnet, existing ISP LAN, up to 12 hosts;
  • 4th subnet, future ISP LAN, up to 6 hosts;
  • 5th subnet, existing WAN, point-to-point link;
  • 6th subnet, future WAN, point-to-point link;
  • 7th subnet, future WAN, point-to-point link.

Interface IP addresses:

• For the server, configure the second highest usable IP address on the existing ISP LAN subnet.
  • For R1-ISP's Fa0/0 interface, configure the highest usable IP address on the existing ISP LAN subnet.
  • For R1-ISP's S0/0/0 interface, configure the highest usable address on the existing WAN subnet.
  • For R2-Central's S0/0/0 interface, use the lowest usable address on the existing WAN subnet.
  • For R2-Central's Fa0/0 interface, use the highest usable address on the existing student LAN subnet.
  • For hosts 1A and 1B, use the first 2 IP addresses (two lowest usable addresses) on the existing student LAN subnet.

Additional configurations:

• For PCs 1A and 1B, in addition to IP and default gateway configuration, configure them to use DNS services.
  • For the server, in addition to IP and default gateway configuration, enable DNS services, use the domain name eagle-server.example.com, and enable HTTP services.
  • For R1-ISP router serial interface, you will need to set the clock rate (a timing mechanism required on the DCE end of serial links) to 64000.
  • No clock rate is needed on the DTE side, in this case R2-Central's serial interface.

Task 2: Finish building the network in Packet Tracer

Add cables where missing.

• Connect a serial DCE cable to R1-ISP S0/0/0, with the other end to R2-Central S0/0/0.
  • Connect PC 1A to the first FastEthernet port on switch S1-Central.
  • Connect PC 1B to the second FastEthernet port on switch S1-Central.
  • Connect interface Fa0/0 on router R2-Central to the highest FastEthernet port on switch S1-Central.
  • Connect interface Fa0/0 on router R1-ISP to Eagle-Server.
  • For all devices, make sure the power is on to the device and the interfaces.

Task 3: Configure the Network

You will need to configure the server, both routers, and the two PCs. You will not need to configure the switch nor do you need the IOS CLI to configure the routers. Part of the router configuration has already been done for you; all you must do is configure the static routes and the interfaces via the GUI; use 64000 as the clock rate on the serial link. The static route on R1-ISP should point to the existing student LAN subnet via R2-Central's serial interface IP address; the static route on R2-Central should be a default static route which points via R1-ISP's serial interface IP address. These procedures were explained in the Chapter 5 Skills Integration Challenge.

Task 4: Test the Network

Verify your work using feedback from the

Check Results

button and the

Assessment Items

tab. Use ping, trace, web traffic, and the

Inspect

tool to examine the network. Trace packet flow in the simulation mode, with HTTP, DNS, TCP, UDP, and ICMP viewable in the Event List Filters. Use the simulation to test your understanding of how the network is operating.

hey Jon,

can you use variable subnet masking? if yes, use that.

1. you need a range which could accomodate 60 hosts so a mask of /26 provides you 62 hosts : 192.168.23.0 - 63 (subnet-zero enabled)

* for the rest you could use a /27 (capable of 30 hosts per subnet), its IP addresses should start after the above subnet though: 192.168.23.64 / 27.

for your point to point links you can use /30 to preserve IP addresses of a range.

HTH,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Soroush Thank you for your input...

What do you think about this correct me if I am wrong.

I came up with this subnets don't know if I am right

192.168.3.0 /26   LAN

192.168.3.64 /27  LAN

192.168.3.96 /28  ISP LAN

192.168.3.112 /29 ISP LAN

192.168.3.120 /30 WAN

192.168.3.124 /30 WAN

192.168.3.128 /30 WAN

NEED some input please...

PS: What do they mean when they when they say

For the server, configure the second highest usable IP address on the existing ISP LAN subnet.?

any time Jonathan,

yes that would work. as long as you stay clear of other ranges and dont overlap them, which u dont in this exmple, it must work.

just note that, if you didn't have ip subnet-zero enabled, you should have ignored 0-63 for the first range, always have that in mind

HTH

plz Rate if it helped,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

I am not sure what is Ip Subnet-Zero ?  pluse where can I activate it in the Tracer Pack program?

PS: What do they mean when they when they say

For the server, configure the second highest usable IP address on the existing ISP LAN subnet.?

in subnetting process, all zero bits in a net ID was considered invalid, called Zero Subnet. example:

192.168.3.0 / 26 : first range is 192.168.3.0 - 63 < 00-000000 till 00-111111 > u can see in binary format the 2 bits that we took from host id and gave to net ID are all zero, this subnet was considered invalid before (representing classfull Net ID) but when activating ip subnet-zero command on the router, u can use this range.

in ur assignment it says assume that it is enabled.

second highest IP, with this config of urs i think it'd be 192.168.3.109.

ISP LAN range: 192.168.3.96/28 >> 192.168.3.96 (range net ID), 192.168.3.97 (first valid ip) - 192.168.3.110 (highest valid ip) - 192.168.3.111 (range broadcast ip)

HTH

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Friend Soroush could it be 118 too?

Because

between 96-112  ISP LAN and in between 112-120 it ISP LAN so the assigment never indicated which one of the two ranges correct me if I am missunderstanding please...

My understanding is, it must be from the Existing ISP LAN, not the future, because now it exist

were the replies helpful at all? u never rated them !

HTH,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

I tried to voted before with not sucess but all your post are extremely helpful like I did voted for your on all of the post already ....

I have a questions will I start the first subnet will start from the server all the way down to the host or from the host to all the way to the server?

192.168.3.0 /26

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: