Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion over OSPF neighbor command

When working over an NMBA frame-relay network you need to define the neighbors using the neighbor command.

However you can also use the priority <0-255> argument at the end of this command to do what the book (CCNP ROUTE Official Cert Guide) describes as "attempt to configure the neighboring routers OSPF priority."

This OSPF priority, is the priority for electing DR and BDRs correct? Higher = better. Default = 1. 0 = cannot become DR or BDR.

But how does this work? I thought that in order to set the priority, you would use the ip ospf priority <0-255> interface subcommand on the router whose priority I want to set RATHER THAN using the neigbor x.x.x.x priority <0-255> on the routers neighbor.

I hope this makes sense. I can supply CLI output and a diagram if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Steven,

i believe this neighbor priority command has effect where there is no interface level priority configured, if there is a interface lvl priority configured with a neighbor, that will go into effect. and of course, you know this neighbor command wont work on point to multipoint env.

here is another thread discussing this issue, u might find useful:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/211439

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Steven,

i believe this neighbor priority command has effect where there is no interface level priority configured, if there is a interface lvl priority configured with a neighbor, that will go into effect. and of course, you know this neighbor command wont work on point to multipoint env.

here is another thread discussing this issue, u might find useful:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/211439

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card