Views
Helpful
Replies

Congested Wan Link

deeshar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone please help me out!!! i have got the 2 MB LL which is normally congested i wana see what sort of the traffic is making my link congested.

I donot have the access to other router and i want to keep a check on unwanted traffic on my serial interface ,i had tried the

Sh ip cache flow and

Sh ip accounting

to check the source port , ip address and size of traffic i am getting .But i am not satisfied with the output since it does not reflect the clear picture .....

Is it possible to do a port mirrioring on the router and that too on serial interface or any such way is available which could give me sniffed data hitting the serial, which will help me to implemnet QoS , ACl and route maps .

Thanks and Regards

Deepak Sharma

4 Replies 4

Another command you might find useful is the 'ip nbar protocol-discovery'. This will give you a better picture of the protocols in use and traffic levels.

Check out the following link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008064fb50.html

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

HTH,

Sundar

Hi Sundar,

Thanks a lot for that much quick responce .I had added the deny entries in ACL as per the output of the command the traffic is now something near to 70 percent of the link .But once the link had became congested and that too at peak hours hence i think i should implement good class map on the interface to give the proper BW to the each application. but without sniffed data of Wan interface it is difficult to make decision on changing DSCP value as per the source ip add. so is it possible to have the monitor session or any thing like that on router .....

Thanks

Deepak Sharma

Deepak,

AFAIK, you can't SPAN an interface within the router. You might be able to sniff the traffic using a WAN sniffer of some kind.

All the traffic is destined to your LAN, correct? Why not span the port on the switch to which the WAN router is connected to?

Pls. rate all helpful posts.

HTH,

Sundar

Hi Deepak,

There is actually a feature available on router platforms that allows SPAN-like functionality. It's called IP Traffic Export and here's a link to it:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123newft/123t/123t_4/gt_rawip.htm

Pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card