Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Connecting a laptop to a 1700/2600 series router

I need to connect a laptop that only has USB ports to the console port on router using Hyper terminal. Is there a special cable?

7 REPLIES

Re: Connecting a laptop to a 1700/2600 series router

Hi Thomas,

Not sure if hyper terminal supports USB port which I do not think it supports.

AFAIK hyper terminal supports com ports and 23 TCP telnet socket and modem ports but not usb ports.

Regards,

Ankur

So how can I console into a router then with no actual COM Port?

You need a USB to serial adapter. IBM T4X have no com port or serial port in which a USB to serial is needed so you can use the terminal emulation program to connect to a console port of any cisco devices. It's not a cable requirement but an adapter on the PC.

Hi Bob,

Hope you are doing good!!

So will I be able to connect using a hyper terminal because hyper terminal ask for com ports settings so if I use a converter from USB to Serial still the physical interface interacting with hyper terminal will be USB?

Do we need any other terminal programme or is it possible via hyper terminal only.

Regards,

Ankur

The terminal emulation will still look for serial or com port but the terminal emulation is really oblivious to this because the USB to serial adapter will give you the com port that the laptop is lacking, namely IBM T40 or above. For some reason some laptop just do not have the serial port or com port anymore therefore you need an external adapter to be able to get a com port. I do not know of any terminal emulation that uses the USB port as far as I know terminal emulation still uses the serial or com port which is why if a laptop lacks a serial port you need an adapter.

So will Hyper term work or do I need something like Tera Term then? The user is in Germany and I am here in the US, so I will have to be very precise with them.

Hi,

I did configure the 2600 router by using USB serial port (brand blackbox) on my compaq n800c which does not have serial port. The hyterm support USB-Serial port.

Hope that help.

Regards,

Hendra

Balikpapan-Indonesia

Views
Helpful
Replies