cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting a modem/router (can't disable) Dhcp to a cisco router (want to enable Dhcp)

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

HI.I want to connect my speedtouch modem router to a cisco router and enable DHCP on the router.The problem Is I can't disable DHCP on the speedtouch.There Is no option to do this.

I assume connecting the speedtouch to a consumer routers wan port would not allow DHCP on the speedtouch to get through.How can I achieve this on a cisco router?
Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

No, you can put the interface to modem as dhcp client and the interface to LAN as server.

To give out a dhcp address you need to receive a request from a client and the modem is not going to do that.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

why don't you just configure the interface connected to modem to get its ip address with dhcp from modem  with the interface command: ip address dhcp  ?

Regards.

Alain.

Hi.The reason Is I want to enable DHCP server services on the router for practice purposes.

Hi,

you can do both without any problem.

Regards.

Alain

If I do as you say wont the Interface connected to the modem/router receive an Ip address In the DHCP pool of the modem/routers lan Interfaces ?

Hi,

No, you can put the interface to modem as dhcp client and the interface to LAN as server.

To give out a dhcp address you need to receive a request from a client and the modem is not going to do that.

Regards.

Alain

Ok, got you.Thanks for your help.That last piece of Info clears up alot.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card