Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

connecting a modem/router (can't disable) Dhcp to a cisco router (want to enable Dhcp)

HI.I want to connect my speedtouch modem router to a cisco router and enable DHCP on the router.The problem Is I can't disable DHCP on the speedtouch.There Is no option to do this.

I assume connecting the speedtouch to a consumer routers wan port would not allow DHCP on the speedtouch to get through.How can I achieve this on a cisco router?
Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

connecting a modem/router (can't disable) Dhcp to a cisco router

Hi,

No, you can put the interface to modem as dhcp client and the interface to LAN as server.

To give out a dhcp address you need to receive a request from a client and the modem is not going to do that.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
6 REPLIES
Purple

Hi,

why don't you just configure the interface connected to modem to get its ip address with dhcp from modem  with the interface command: ip address dhcp  ?

Regards.

Alain.

Hi.The reason Is I want to enable DHCP server services on the router for practice purposes.

Purple

Hi,

you can do both without any problem.

Regards.

Alain

If I do as you say wont the Interface connected to the modem/router receive an Ip address In the DHCP pool of the modem/routers lan Interfaces ?

Purple

Hi,

No, you can put the interface to modem as dhcp client and the interface to LAN as server.

To give out a dhcp address you need to receive a request from a client and the modem is not going to do that.

Regards.

Alain

Ok, got you.Thanks for your help.That last piece of Info clears up alot.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content