Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a WAN with 2507 and 2514 routers

rodneyehowell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about setting up a WAN using a 2507 and 2514 Cisco router.

The two routers have a serial connection between them with the 2507 generating the clockrate at 250000 (DCE). I established an IP address for serial 0 / ethernet 0 on the 2507 and serial 1 / ethernet 1 on the 2514. When I view the routing table I can see the direct connection of S0 and eth0 / S1 and eth1.

My problem is from the console of RouterA when I ping ethernet 1 ip address on RouterB I do not get a reply. The same is true from the console of RouterB I don't get a reply from ethernet 0 on RouterA. I can ping with success each serial connection.

What follows is the configuration and setup for RouterA. RouterB is configured in the same manor. Any suggestions are appreciated.

RouterA(config)#int e0

RouterA(config-if)#ip address 172.16.12.1 255.255.255.0

RouterA(config-if)# no shutdown

RouterA(config-if)#int s0

RouterA(config-if)#ip address 172.16.10.1 255.255.255.0

RouterA(config-if)#clockrate 250000

RouterA(config-if)#no shutdown

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is normal behavior as you don't have any kind of routing between the two routers.

The simplest thing would be to use static routes as follow:

on RouterB:

ip route 172.16.12.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.10.1

On RouterA:

ip route 255.255.255.0 172.16.10.2 (assuming 172.16.10.2 is RouterB serial1 ip address).

With this in place, you should then be able to ping the Ethernet interface of the opposite router.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for the information. It solved my problem. I was following a step by step lab I aquired and it did not mention anything about statically connecting opposite serial and ethernet ports. I thought because the connections were made internal to the router that by default they would see each other and once connected from one end to the serial port I would see the adjoining ethernet port. The lab stated that I should be able to ping the ethernet ports if I followed the steps.

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Rodney,

When you have connected 2 routers via serial interface your router serial interface can see each other because they are directly connected to each other and is the reason you can ping serial interfaces.

NOW your ethernet interface and serial interface on router A cannot see ethernet interface on Router B and vice versa because ethernet interface is directly connected for same router and not for the remote router.

You can either use static route as updated by in previous post by hritter or you can simple enable some routing protocol like RIP ver 2.

Because your network is really small as per what you have described better option will be static route.

HTH

Ankur

Thanks for the information. It solved my problem. I was following a step by step lab I aquired and it did not mention anything about statically connecting opposite serial and ethernet ports. I thought because the connections were made internal to the router that by default they would see each other and once connected from one end to the serial port I would see the adjoining ethernet port. The lab stated that I should be able to ping the ethernet ports if I followed the steps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card