Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

connecting C3750 switch to a C3560

Hi I would be grateful for any help with this question. I have tried for hours to find an answer on the website with no joy.

I need to connect a C3750 to a C3560 switch, both located in the same rack. I believe I can’t use the StackWise cable as its not supported on the C3560 however, I would like to know if I can use a Cisco SFP interconnect cable to do the job? My concern is that the C3750 will not recognise the SFP module as valid (as I can’t see it on the supported list) and will disable the port or produce errors.

Would I be better off using two 1000base-T SFP modules and a piece of CAT5e instead or is there a better solution out there (without changing the switches or connecting at 100mbs)?

Any advice or pointers in the right direction on the website would be gratefully received

Regards

Dean

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: connecting C3750 switch to a C3560

You cannot use the SFP interconnect to connect a 3750 to a 3560 for the reason you mentioned. You can use 1000baseT SFPs or 1000 base SX SFPs and use fiber with LC connectors to connect the 2 switches.

Dean,

Are your gbics Cisco gbics or third party ones ? Usually third party gbics when inserted into the gbic slot, shuts down the port. You should be fine with the GLC-SX or GLC-T gbics, and interconnect the switches(i think GLC-Ts are cheaper).

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

You cannot use the SFP interconnect to connect a 3750 to a 3560 for the reason you mentioned. You can use 1000baseT SFPs or 1000 base SX SFPs and use fiber with LC connectors to connect the 2 switches.

Dean,

Are your gbics Cisco gbics or third party ones ? Usually third party gbics when inserted into the gbic slot, shuts down the port. You should be fine with the GLC-SX or GLC-T gbics, and interconnect the switches(i think GLC-Ts are cheaper).

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I will go with 2 x SFP 1000base-T and Cat5e Solution using Cisco branded items and consign the Interconnect cable to history.

Your quick response to my plea for help is appreciated

Regards

Dean

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content