cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting home lab router to cable modem over wireless access point

Jimi-Frey888
Level 1
Level 1

My home lab is in a different room than the cable modem.  I have a wireless N router in the room with the cable modem.  I have a wireless access point that is connected to a Cisco 2611XM routers fa0/0 interface.  The 2611 accepts the DHCP address from the wireless router.  However, I can't ping past the wireless LAN 192.168.10.0 network. I know with the wireless router it's two layers of DHCP.  Should remove  the DHCP settings from the wireless router?  The wireless router is a  TrendNet TEW-651BR.  I can ping my iphone or any device conntected to the wireless router.  And my laptop can ping default gateway of the wireless router, which I assume is the cable modem, however the 2611 cannot.  So I'm assuming that's why the hosts behind the 2611 can't get to the internet.  I followed the below instructions.   I know the instructions don't assume your using a wirelss router between 2611 and the cable modem.  But, I really don't want to run a cable to the cable modem.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.certificationkits.com/cisco-cable-modem/

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

what's the rest of the Gateway of last resort is 0.0.0.0 to network 0.0.0.0 ....

try to replace fa0/0 with the actual ip address of your gateway, in your case this would be the default gateway your other wireless devices are using.

maybe enable debug ip packet and ping the default gateway and then a target in the internet.

regards

alex

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

alex.dersch
Level 4
Level 4

Hey James,

can you please explain me how your setup is. router-->LAN Cable-->AccessPoint--> Wireless --> Cable Modem

If it like i think, why you have the default route pointing out the serial interface on your router? I also wonder what you do with the network 1.0.0.0 statement in your RIP section.

regards

alex

Those were from previous labs. I tried adding "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa0/0", but still can't ping the default gateway/cable modem.  When I do 'show ip route', I get

Gateway of last resort is 0.0.0.0 to network 0.0.0.0

what's the rest of the Gateway of last resort is 0.0.0.0 to network 0.0.0.0 ....

try to replace fa0/0 with the actual ip address of your gateway, in your case this would be the default gateway your other wireless devices are using.

maybe enable debug ip packet and ping the default gateway and then a target in the internet.

regards

alex

very close, the solution was a default route to the wireless router.  0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.1

It doesn't appear as if the router could make a connection to the wireless routers default/cablemodem, because it didn't have a record of the network.  But I changed it to the wireless networks, network  of 192.168.10.1 on a hunch and it worked.

It's still amazingly show, but that's probably because of a switch between the access point and the router, that I didn't tell you about because I didn't want to complicate things.  I have my PC and work phone connected to that switch, so I can't moving things around till my day is done, but hopefully that solves the speed thing and all will be well.  Thank you very much for your help with this.  Did you see this post on LinkedIn or Facebook?

check speed duplex settings on switch / router interfaces. alf duplex could cause slow speed.

I found this on Cisco Support Community

good Luck finding the issue for the slow speed

regards

alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card