cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Routers

moazzamkhan
Level 1
Level 1

I have three 2600 routers . I just want to experinment with them by connecting them together and connecting a pc to each end. Can someone guide me how should I go about doing this. I mean which ports would be needed.

10 Replies 10

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

All 2600 come w/ LAN port (one or two), you can use connect them all to a LAN hub or switch then enable the routing protocol to make them communicate each each.

If the 2600 have two LAN ports, you can connect them back-to-back via LAN and a cross UTP cable.

Try to search the config. guide in Cisco web to check how to configure the routers. It cannot be stated within a few words.

Check below for the Cisco doc. web :

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/home/home.htm

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.What are the wan ports for? Do I need them to connect the routers to each other. How I connect the router back to back with the cross UTP cable. I would appreciate your comments.

The WAN (serial) ports are for connecting to an external CSU/DSU where a normal local loop comes in (T1, etc). You can simulate a T1 with these serial ports by using a back-to-back DCE to DTE cable.

You can connect the routers via a LAN w/ the Ethernet ports if you have a spare switch/hub.

Connecting the router back to back via UTP will not do you any good as far as simulating a WAN connection.

Thanks adam your reply was really helpful. Can you please explain a little more what is back to back DCE to DTE cable and I can connect the router with the ethernet port.(from external CSU/DSU do you mean connection to another router which is somewhere else).

Just as Adam said, you can use WAN (serial) port to connect to other router. But you have to use Cisco specific serial cable. If you want to connect two routers directly, you require one side as DTE and the other side as DCE mode.

Check below for more info. Try to search Cisco web.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk317/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800944ff.shtml

Hope this helps.

I have attached the jpg of the topology I am trying to implement. The problem is I don't have serial ports on my router. Is it possible implement this topology with the ethernet. What configuration I need to do on individual routers.I will appreciate your gluidance

Could you explain the design ? You said there are three 2600 but the diagram shows there are 7 routers....

You better seach some sample config w/ diagram in Cisco web, it helps to build the lab.

Infact I have seven routers. The design is to implement the topology in the picture and communicate between the nodes shown in the figure.

If this is just a lab environment, Google for the back-to-back DCE/DTE cables to simulate the WAN Connections. You'll also need a switch on each far end where the host & router's local ethernet will connect. Just from looking at the topology, you could have some real fun experimenting with OSPF & EIGRP as you have oppurtunities for stub areas, virtual links, etc.

thx. for clarification. I suggest to check the routr to support VLAN trunking or not. If yes, you will not require WAN connection and configure VLAN trunking w/ multiple VLAN then connect to a LAN switch to simulate a router with multiple LAN interface. But you require to design and configure the switch and router for VLAN assignment carefully.

Otherwise, just follow the suggestion from Adam to purchase several pair of DTE & DCE cables to interconnect all routers.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card