Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection closed by peer

stephtchoko
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

What can be the probable cause of this issue message following :"TCP/IP : Connection was closed by peer" ?

Best regards,

Stephane Tchoko.

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have reason to think the very clear message is in error ?

Sorry Nevilacqua,

I was thinking that the connection closed by peer is a common message for the TCP session. The first time, i face this message was with bgp session between 2 routers, one of the router have bgp prefix-limit configure. When the prefix went greater that the limit, the log message connection closed by peer was displaying.

In the current case, my network administrator send the log message[ -1644221520 15:36:45,05603 09/02/2009 Informational: "TCP/IP : Connection was closed by peer" (-148) (/0)]. I'm trying analyse.

I would like to know if the connection closed by peer can come from network issue and it is always due the application ? Please, clarify.

Best regards.

It should be always due to application, because the network cannot generate an exact packet sequence of TCP closing. When closing is due to network, you should see connection reset.

Thank you very much Bevilacqua,

Can i have a source of your explanation ?

Rgds,

Stephane Tchoko.

TCP RFC, closing sequence section.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card