Views
Helpful
Replies

CONTROLLER-2-FIRMWARE: Controller E1 0/0/0, firmware is not running

sameero10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I already posted a case before 2 weeks describing what is happening with me regarding those VWIC2-2MFT-G703 cards I have and I am creating a new case now because I got another info that may help detecting this issue.

I have this error message that appears on my Cisco 1841 routers when I connect WAN RJ48 cables to my VWIC2-2MFT-G703 interface:

%CONTROLLER-2-FIRMWARE: Controller E1 0/0/0, firmware is not running

I installed VWIC2-2MFT-G703 cards on my routers and I wanted to use them for my WAN communications to transfer data but the above message kept appearing.

I was checking with TELCO guys, the WAN links I have is 64kbps G703 standard with CODIR line coding, framing is disabled, so I am not receiving channlized E1 links from the Telco, I am receiving separated 64kbps links,So I am expecting that this is causing the problem

please not that I used the unframed command (channel group 0 unframed) and didn't use any line coding or framing but got the same error.

what do you think?

Please note that when I issue show controllers E1 0/0/0 command, E1 always appears down and virtual serial interface is always down.

Another issue I faced is that when I tried to create channel groups with the VWIC2-2MFT-G703 cards, it just allowed me to create 2 channel groups only, I checked Cisco docs and it seems that this card support only 2 channel groups, does any body face the same case?

Please note that i upgraded router to different IOS images but got the same issue:

c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-21a.bin

c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-23.bin

c1841-spservicesk9-mz.124-15.T9.bin

c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-23.bin

pleaee note that the card appears in output of show version and show inven commands but keep showing me that error.

I searched on the internet and Cisco docs but I didn't find real answers to what is causing this issue

Another thing to mention, the controller card was added to the config, and it created the serial logical interface, is it hardware issue? Pinout assignment of the cables used? Or configuration issue?

Check the configuration below: i used serveral configurations for E1 controller:

1.controller E1 0/0/0

clock source internal independent

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31

Or

2. .controller E1 0/0/0

Clock source line primary

Linecoding hdb3

Framing crc4 or no-crc4

Channel-group 0 timeslots 1

Or

3. controller E1 0/0/0

Channel group 0 unframed

but i still get the same error message and controllers are down.

any ideas guys

eng.Sam Abdo

17 Replies 17

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What do you mean you're getting 64's?

Please describe how the circuit(s) looks like physically and how telco describes them in their own words.

Hi p.bevilacqua ,

Telco is providing us with 64 separated links, the characteristics of this 64 is as follows:

Line coding is CO-DIR

64kbps G703 standard

No framing

with RJ48 connecters

they have a cards on their multiplexers that can provide 64 separated links.

Regards

Sam Abdo

Ask telco if they can give you 3 channelized E1 circuits instead.

To connect 64 interfaces as you say, you would need a big router, 64 "modems", tick serial cables, it comes out a real meas.

well, i can get now only one E1 link, thy have limitation on available E1's, but i will try to get another E1 links.

another issue i found is that this VWIC can only support 2 channel groups, i searched in all cisco documentations and found that i can not create more than 2 channel groups!! so if i get E1 then i will have to replace VWIC card to E1 channelized T1/E1 PRI card.

i was checking with patton, i got converter that can converts 64 co-dir links (what i get from Telco) to V.35. by going in this direction, i will have to replace all my VWIC to WIC-1/2T cards!!

but u said that i need a big router,64 modem and serial cables, an u please specifiy exactly what router series i need, 64 modem cards part number and serial cables? i need to know more about what u r suggesting.

Thanx

Sam Abdo

You need HWIC-1CET1-PRI for fully channelized E1. It comes with 1 or 2 ports then there is an eight ports NM.

The Patton "converter" is a "baseband modem" that also telco should be able to to give you.

To connect 64 V.35 links you would use 4 x nm-16/AS in something lime a 3825. It comes out very complicated an expensive, and should be avoided.

the patton converter model is 2070, and Telco only provides us with WAN connectivity, did u try to convert 64 to V.35 using patton modem 2070?

i didnt fully understand ur last sentence,u mean i should get 3825 ISR router with NM 16 serial A/S interface and connect them to Patton converter?

why should i use 4 network modules?

if i used patton, WIC-1/2T will not fit in my case? though the converter will convert rj48 link to V.35? should i use WIC-2T or NM-16 sync async module?

please clairfy

Regards

Sam

If you need to terminate 64 circuits, you need an high density module, you cannot do that with modules supporting only one or two ports.

Ask telco for channelized E1 or you will have big problems making this work.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sam Abdo,

the VWIC is declared supported for data services only on C1841 that is the use you would like to do.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/release/notes/124TFEAT.html#wp1452499

here in this config example says you need to give also a no shut and provides configuration for unframed = unstructured

card type e1

in global config is the first command in the example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/software/feature/guide/t1e11700.html#wp73740

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I guess the OP did so already, else he wouldn't be at this point already.

One would say, call the TAC, but guess what, no support contract.

Bad situation to be in.

Hi Giuseppe,

As p.bevilacqua said, i already did what u suggested-u can see that in my first post above- but it didnt work!! i read alot of docs about that subject but did not come with solution..

any other ideas?

Regards

Eng.Sam Abdo

Hello Sam Abdo,

sorry for the basic suggestions but sometimes it works.

As Paolo has suggested it is high time to open a service request to Cisco.

If you have another router I would try to install the VWIC2 there just to see if something changes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanx for ur support, i already installed the VWIC on another 3 routers,but still getting the same issue. i think its WAN Telco issue since hey are providing us with 64K separated links, i mean these 64's are not part of channalized E1, its just separated with different line coding and different properities..did u ever work with such WAN connection?

i guess its the time to open a case with cisco, the issue is that we dont have smartnet or support agreement, we have to get one so to proceed.

thanx again

Regards

Sam

Hello Sam,

if the Telco is providing 64 kbps circuits DS0 on different links you need an external box that perform ADM functions:

collects all DS0 links and provides an E1 link to your device where some DS0s carry the signals of each individual link.

For example I tried years ago a multi channel E3 port adapter and we used a RED device to multiplex multiple E1 and to provide a single E3 link to the router.

And here it is the same:

a DS0 alone is different from a fractional E1 carrying only one DS0.

I think the router doesn't see any usable information and so the controller E1 port is kept down/down

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

I am thinking acually of doing that, i was searching on patton site, this company has known products,converters and multiplexers, so i am searching for some external box that can convert these 64's to something that my card can understand. another option is to use multiplexer that can combin these 64s to channelized E1...

in the mean time i will get support contract so to check what cisco TAC can do in such case..

thanx

Regards

Sam Abdo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card