Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Converting from Frame-relay to ATM. Traffic shape question.

hello, thanks for your time. i've got an existing frame-relay network with about 100 endpoints and i have a project to convert the head-end host DLCI circuit from a frame-relay T1 to an ATM DS3. The DS3 is in place and I have good end to end communication to my test frame-relay circuit, but i have a question regarding shaping. on my old frame-relay circuit i used frame-relay map classes to specify how large each PVC was. what is the equivalent for ATM? here's what i currently have:

interface ATM4/0.650 point-to-point

description Test Frame

mtu 1500

bandwidth 56

ip address 172.16.1.73 255.255.255.252

pvc 1/650

cbr 64

broadcast

no ilmi manage

oam-pvc manage

the only thing slightly puzzling is that "64" is the lowest setting i can specify. nearly all of my remote circuits are 56k, so i don't know how well that would work. what if i only had a 32k PVC? what then? is there a different way i should do this?

also, currently we use end-to-end keepalives over the frame-relay connections, but i can't find an equivalent feature for ATM that makes it work, is there one? or do i have to unconfigure end-to-end keepalives for all these PVCs?

1 REPLY
Super Bronze

Re: Converting from Frame-relay to ATM. Traffic shape question.

When mixing ATM and frame, remember the impact of ATM cell tax and cell pading. As a rough rule of thumb - you'll want about 15 to 25% more bandwidth for ATM to match the same bandwidth for frame.

So, instead of being concerned about the 64 CBR overdriving the 56 K remote, the reverse might happen.

For a 32 K PVC, if frame, be more concerned about the actual remote link's physical bandwidth rather than a PVC's CIR. Hopefully none of your remote links will be less than a DS0.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content