cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copying config to empty chassis

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I have a warm-standby 2801 chassis that is used to backup a 2801 that has 3 WICs installed. I would like to apply the config with the 3 WICs to the chassis with no WICs without having to remove the WICs from the production router. The empty chassis will reject the config sections for the WICs if they are not installed. Is there a way to "force" the config into the empty chassis?

Thanks,

Diego

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You can transfer the new config to to the startup-config instead of to the running one.

Use the command: "copy tftp start" for this.

Be sure to paste the entire config as it will overwrite the current file.

Regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You can transfer the new config to to the startup-config instead of to the running one.

Use the command: "copy tftp start" for this.

Be sure to paste the entire config as it will overwrite the current file.

Regards,

Leo

Leo is correct that using TFTP to transfer the config to startup config does not do any checking of syntax or anything. So the config will be loaded in startup without a problem. If you populate the WICs (because you need to swap to your backup) the router should boot ok and apply the config to the interfaces that it now has.

Be aware of the implications of transferring to startup config not doing any syntax checking. If there are any errors in the config (if it is incomplete for some reason, if you have manually edited anything and made a mistake, etc) it will not be discovered until the router boots. I have locked myself out of a router a time or two doing this, so I am now well aware of the danger. But it is the only way that I can think to get the config into the router when the WICs are not in the chassis.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks!

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: