Views
Helpful
Replies

CORE Switch 4507R Suddenly restarted

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

my CORE Switch 4507R Suddenly restarted (Powe is good) , and gets the business down for 30 Mts,my boss came to me and asks why it has restarted , what is the root cause of this restart pls send me a report, i dont have any syslog or NMS enabled in my  network to be informed ,, pls advise me what  steps and configuration must be using to avoid this situation again  and at least to know the reasons if some thing happens

thanks

ibrahim

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These are typically bugs for which you can either update software in the hope won;t happen again, or contact Cisco TAC for support.

Ibrahim,

The first thing you do is to log a case with TAC. You will be assigned an engineer to look after your case. Meanwhile you try to get as much informaiton as you can. i.e your platform, supervisor model, any changes that were done before the incident. etc. Give them as much information and they will start the investigation.

You should always have NMS to capture some information before the box dies accidently like this.

I hope TAC helps to find out the root cause and please post the actions and findings as well

Kishore

Hi Experts

i have installed a free ware software named KIWI to acts as a syslog server,now what logging traps should i enable on all Cisco devices (routers switches,ASA,ips,acs 5.0) in my network to know what exactly happened that cause the restarts or any wrong things

thanks

ibrahim

Syslog will not be accurate.  If your supervisor card crashes and reboots, it will loose network connectivity.

take a look at your flash for any crashinfo or do a "sh version" and sometimes it will tell you the reason why.

Pawan Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ibrahim,

best would be to create a FTP server and configure your switch to send crashdump info to the FTP server. This would help you to find root cause for any such problem in future.

Regards,

Pawan Sharma

http://www.ebrahma.com

Regards,
Pawan Sharma
https://itgears.io

Ivan Krimmel
Level 7
Level 7

without syslogs there's not much a TAC rep can say. As mentioned above if it was not caused by an external factor like a power cut, the only way to move forward is to review the flash content, look for crashdump files and log a TAC request.

Just to clarify - even with crashdumps it is not alway possible to root cause the issue. Just to set right expectations :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card