Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Correct terms to define types of routing

I still haven't found some bibliographic reference for this concept, but I divide routing em two types:

Gross(on Brazilian Portuguese I say "bruto")

• Is the type of routing usually assigned to Catalyst Switches L3(6500, 3750, 3560, etc...).
  • Used to InterVlan routing, with very high performance and doesn't look to almost nothing else  the destination IP address.
  • I happens on the backplane of the equipment not been limited to the throughput of an interface.

Refined

• Is the type of routing usually assigned to ISR(GI or GII) or ASA.
  • Used on traffics that demands more advanced features, like Statefull Inspection, LLQ QoS, nbar, netflow, but does not offer such a big throughput as an L3 switch.
  • To it be routed needs to pass over some interface, been limited to that max throughput of that interface(10/100/Giga/TenGiga or sum of interfaces(LACP) .

I would use Basic(Gross) and Advanced(Refined), but "basic" and "advanced" are terms already used by Cisco to defined feature sets.

Maybe I'm daydreaming...

But I'm not sure if that those terms are correct to defined what I want to define, or even if already exists the correct expressions for that.

Any suggestions?

Everyone's tags (4)
Views
Helpful
Replies