cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CoS on Layer 3 interface

jacutis
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently switch MPLS providers and they are requiring that we use CoS tagging on our router interfaces. All of our sites use 1800 or 2800 series routers. When I create all of the maps and attempt to apply the CoS to the interface, ny routers inform me that you cannot apply CoS to a layer 3 interface? I cnnot seem to find any CoS examples on a layer 3 interface. Zny help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

dionh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

CoS is Layer 2 only. Try using ip precedence or DSCP both are layer 3.

match dscp and set dscp

Dion

Now, since _T&T are looking for CoS tagging value specifically, can I set it on my connected switch and pass it along to the router for forwarding since the switch is layer 2?

Yes and No; you can read the CoS information from the switch as it passed to the router but layer 2 header information is removed so you have to re-mark the packets with layer 3 information.

so you would read the COS information from the packet and re-classify and then mark the packets with DSCP or IP Precedence and then foward them across your WAN.

Like wise the router can mark packets with CoS leaving you routers interface; but to honest most Layer 2 devices support DSCP IP & Precedence markings.

Hope this helps

Dion

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card