Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU utilisation and software crash

kuldeep.kaur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

We have a 3845 router. The cpu utilization is high (60-65%). Not sure what is causing it. I have checked the cisco site for bugs on the IOS version which is currently running on the router and could not find anything. There are virtual templates configured on the router. Someone has told me that they are processed and not fastswitched and that's why the cpu utilization is high. I am enclosing the files from the router for you guys to have a look and please help me out to fix this problem. FYI if you look at the output from cpu.txt file it shows you that cpu utilization today in the afternoon is around 48%. Normally it will be between 60 to 65%. The only thing I can thing off is that today is Friday and not many people are connecting to the router for ADSL service. This router provides adsl service for our customers. I am also enclosing the output from show user command which will show you how many users are connected. The same router has rebooted yesterday due to software forced crash. I try to find the bug with the error code provided but cisco said this error code is not in their database and will be added. So what I am thinking is it is the image which is making the cpu running high and the crash as well. I have enclosed all the information in one file called config.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lns01-gard-syd#sh processes cpu

CPU utilization for five seconds: 52%/29%; one minute: 50%; five minutes: 51%

96 48506048 260655987 186 16.12% 16.12% 17.50% 0 IP Input

Your attachment shows high "IP Input", which often does indicate non-fastpath switching. I'm unaware whether virtual templates could be a cause, but you might review, if you haven't already, "Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization in IP Input Process", http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00801c2af3.shtml.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could your also post "show proc cpu sorted"?

Hi,

Please find enclosed the output requested.

Rgds

lns01-gard-syd#sh processes cpu

CPU utilization for five seconds: 52%/29%; one minute: 50%; five minutes: 51%

96 48506048 260655987 186 16.12% 16.12% 17.50% 0 IP Input

Your attachment shows high "IP Input", which often does indicate non-fastpath switching. I'm unaware whether virtual templates could be a cause, but you might review, if you haven't already, "Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization in IP Input Process", http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00801c2af3.shtml.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card