Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

create a wan over 3km private copper phone line

I'm a newbie. If I wanted to create a point to point link over a pair of private dedicated copper wires what would be the best technology to use? The distance is about 3km and currently we are using dialup modems. Would 2 ISDN or DSL routers do the job? 1-5Mb/s would be lots of bandwidth.

3 REPLIES

Re: create a wan over 3km private copper phone line

Hello Brad,

There are a lot of options available for WAN these days.. you might need to talk to the service provider and see which best suits you, depending on the service and the cost..

1) private leased-lines , point to point... since the distance is very less, this might cost less too !!!!

2) Ethernet services - metro ethernets, broadband etc...

3) wireless services - Access points in bridge mode with appropriate antennas.. but you need to have a clear line of site for this.. this would be the last preferred option or a backup option..

4) internet links at both the offices and do some kinda IP VPN.. negatives of this solution - no guaranteed response, latency on internet etc..

Hope this helps.. all the best.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

back to back dsl over the copper should work

Dear Brad,

I hope this mail finds you in best of your health; this is regarding your query....

The following devices may help you out with the existing quandry...

You already have a dedicated 3 Km long copper 1. RAD ASM 52i (v.35) modems ( One Pair or Two Pair... based on your requirements), they can carry upto 2.048 Mbps of Data (Synchronous) over 3 Kms.

2. Two Cisco 1800 Series routers with WIC-T card and two V.35 cables.

This would provide you robust stability on copper pair even with worst parameters( impedance,induction and resistance).

Thanking You

Regards,

Mayank Nauni

Views
Helpful
Replies