cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cross connect

revilo3246
Level 1
Level 1

my understanding with x-connect are two routers connected back to back using a cross connect cable. why is it on our router there are descriptions on the FastE intf says x-connect with RouterA via a switchA. How is this? x-connect using thru a switch?

7 Replies 7

sivakondalarao
Level 1
Level 1

is it the switch A is L3 switch or L2 switch,

Its a Cat 6509 switch? In connection with my question. How will I know that a switch is a L2/L3 device. Is there any particular command?

Also, what really is the main function of the supervisor engine?

hi,

multilayer switches are providing you the both the layer functionality like switching as well as routing...on multilayer switches you can configure the routing, policy, PBR as well as qos types of different functionallity...which you can not have on your layer 2 switches...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

hi revilo3246 ,

Description on any interface is logical meaning it has nothing to do with router or switching functionality i think one of your colegue has done to show that that interface is in a perticuler vlan say vlan 6 and other router is also in vlan 6 and no other port in switch are in vlan 6 so logically you have direct connectivity between two router. so traffic goes from one router goes directly to other router.

Superviser engine is used to provide enheced feature like layer2-4 switching and it switch and route on hardware which requires less cpu power and memory which improves the switch performence.

please rate if helps

kamlesh

well these sup enginess gives better backplane capacity like sup 4 and 5 provides 64 and 96 gbps accorddingly.

please rate if helps

thanks

kamlesh

meaning that both routers sits on same collision domain? so Im I correct that x-connect applies only to a back to back connection whereby, one should be DTE or DCE? so the description is sort of confusing me?

Well if both the router are connected to a switch than they in same broadcast doamin of vlan 6 not in one collision doamin. bcos switch does not work on CSMA-CD it does transperent switch hence both the router are in seperet colliesion domain.

DTE and DCE generally used for WAN interface where DCE device used to provise clocking to all DTE devices but in ur case it is connectedt to switch not to WAN interface so there is no DTE and DCE devices.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card