Views
Helpful
Replies

CRS MSC vs FC

patcbr600
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Can any one tell me wath is the diference from a MSC and a forwarding card on a CRS chassis.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

Can any one tell me wath is the diference from a MSC and a forwarding card on a CRS chassis.

Thanks

Hi ,

MSFC is your  layer 3 engine which is used for routing functionality in your switch,it actually depends on what kind of switch your using.SUP is responsible for layer 2 switching. The MSFC is essentially a Cisco IOS router based upon the high-performance 7200 series router. This provides the route processor functions required by the PFC to implement L3 switching. The MSFC provides the necessary routing information in the PFC route cache so that the PFC can L3 switch packets.

Check out th below link for more information

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=102093&seqNum=2

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by a forwarding card but a CRS line card is made of two parts:

- PLIM: it represents your interfaces. We have fixed and modular (SPA based) PLIM

- MSC: it represents the forwarding engine or the brain of the LC. This is where the ingress/egress features and lookup are done. It also handle the connection to the fabric.

HTH

Laurent.

Hi Laurent,

That is what i know, but ins cisco i found the following card :

Cisco CRS-1 Series Forwarding Processor 40G

- Paired with the following interface modules: 4-10GE, 42-1GE, 20-1GE-FLEX and
    2-10GE-WL-FLEX

And the normal MSC.

Thus this forwarding card is a enhanced MSC card ?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: