cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dampening an interface

ssalem
Level 1
Level 1

How can I dampen an EIGRP interface if interface flaps for 5 times in 15 second. ?. I searched the net for this topic, I couldn't find clear cut answer. Thanks

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

I feel ip even dampening will be able to do justice for your requirement ..

do refer this link for more info on how to configure the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080457c1d.html#wp1048359

do check out for the supported interfaces ...

regds

ssalem
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Kumar for your input. The link didn't help much, as no one of the 4-parameters configured in interface dampen command take into consideration the numbers of interface flaps over specific period of time.

time to do some maths then, using the penalty for each flap and setting the half life and the threshold to dampen.

Appreciate your input. I couldn't find a link shows how to assign a penalty for each flap. It would be great help if you are aware of any. Thank you

Hi,

the penalty for a flap is 1000 and can not be configured. In fact the interface dampening is very similar to route flap dampening in BGP. Have a look at document RIPE-229 for the latter to get also some hints on how to "do the maths".

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin. Your answer is what I was looking for. Thank you

Hello,

Under which item did you find the "how to do the maths" ?

Thanks,

Luis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card