Views
Helpful
Replies

Data Center Experts | Pls Help

Ibrahim Jamil
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Experts

I Have exented vlan 120,121 from DC-1 to DC-2,the DC-1 and DC-2 are connected using L2 Trunk over fiber terminated on Cisco 6513 on both site ,the distance around 40 Km  ,on the DC-2 i just assigned server-1 TO VLAN 120 while server-2 in vlan 121 ,but these servers unable to communicate neither with DC-1 Servers or betwen them locally on DC-2 ,pls note that the servers at dc-2 rely on DC-1 for routing

topology attached

thanks for ur valuable time

jamil

7 Replies 7

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

Are those 2 switches are part of a HSRP pair.If you issue the sh vlans commmand on 6513 in DC-2, will it show you the 120 and 121 VLANs ?If not please create the VLANS by using the below commands.

vlan 120

name XXX

vlan 121

name YYY

Siddhartha

Hi

Thanks for time to reply

siddhartham Asks:
Are those 2 switches are part of a HSRP pair

as i have mentioed in my thread , the servers on DC-2 reply on the SVIs interface created on core DC-1,on DC-2 just the servers configured as Layer 2 VLAN

siddhartham  Asks

If you issue the sh vlans commmand on 6513 in DC-2, will it show you the 120 and 121 VLANs

yes i saw VLANs 120,121 in DC-2 Core,since Lan Extesnsion come sin play also both Switches in the same VTP

N.B, i have business requiremt for this setup for server replication after that we will shut the DC-1

thanks Ibrahim

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ibrahim Jamil wrote:

Hi Experts

I Have exented vlan 120,121 from DC-1 to DC-2,the DC-1 and DC-2 are connected using L2 Trunk over fiber terminated on Cisco 6513 on both site ,the distance around 40 Km  ,on the DC-2 i just assigned server-1 TO VLAN 120 while server-2 in vlan 121 ,but these servers unable to communicate neither with DC-1 Servers or betwen them locally on DC-2 ,pls note that the servers at dc-2 rely on DC-1 for routing

topology attached

thanks for ur valuable time

jamil

First question - is your trunk link port actually physically up (up/up)? Is it passing traffic? Do you have matching encapsulation modes on each and, and are you allowing the VLAN's through the trunk?

Can you post the configuration of the trunk port (I.E. the port on the device at DC1) which connects to DC2? And the same for the device at DC2? (show running-config int xxx/yyy off each device).

Also post the output of "show int xxx/yyy" for the ports connecting to the trunk link.

Cheers

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you please post the output to the command "sh vlan"?  I"m suspecting the VLAN instance hasn't been created in the VLAN database of the 6500.  Can happen.

Hi Guys

is there and sample config for VLANs extension betwwen DCs using L2 Trunk over fiber similar to my setup so that i can use it as reference

thanks

Since you are using VTP, you don't need any special configs for VLAN extension.They should propagate if you add the new switch as a client and if the domain name and password matches with the server.

Can you post the outputs of #sh valn, trunk configs on DC1 and DC2 and aslo #sh int status of those trunk links.

Siddhartha

hi

actualy am looking for a similar setup

thanks

jamil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card