cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

debug ip routing messages

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Can someone tell me what these messages mean please?

*Mar 1 00:49:53.546: is_up: 1 state: 4 sub state: 1 line: 1 has_route: True

*Mar 1 00:49:53.546: is_up: 1 state: 4 sub state: 1 line: 1 has_route: True

*Mar 1 00:51:13.950: is_up: 1 state: 4 sub state: 1 line: 1 has_route: True

*Mar 1 00:51:13.950: is_up: 1 state: 4 sub state: 1 line: 1 has_route: True

They are appearing on only 2 of the routers out of the 9 in my stack. They all have debug ip routing. These two routers are EIGRP neighbors, and one of them is redistributing from RIP and OSPF.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

6 Replies 6

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Kevin,

This mesg appears in the output of "debug ip routing" over routers running EIGRP, especially for changes relating to interface. Some of the instances when this debug output appears is:

immediately after interface goes up or down

after the interface is added to routing or removed from routing.

However, what that msg exactly means is still to be known.

will Pls post back if I find the answer.

Thanks. If you can find out exactly what ite means I would be grateful. It is in a lab set up, and anything coming out of debug ip routing is worth investigating. The messages are very regular: two every 80 seconds. As far as I can see, there are no adjacency problems.

Next time I have the lab, I shall change the EIGRP adjacency timers are see if that makes any difference. I suspect it has more to do with the redistribution from RIP though.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Anyone? Rick? Harold? Russ?

Changing the timers on all my routing protocols (for faster convergence) did not make any diffrence to the 80 second interval of these messages.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Bump. Anyone?

Sorry dude. Couldnt find what that means & how to eliminate that error.

However, on one of the discussion forums someone suggested to reduce the keepalive. That was for similar problem but on an ipsec. Dont think it has anything do with it in this case.

Pls revert if u get the answer.

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

OK, I found some more about it. I put on lots of EIGRP debug options, and came up with this:

*Mar 1 01:50:10.123: IP-EIGRP: Callback: address_command Ethernet0/0 0.0.0.0/0 sense 0

*Mar 1 01:50:10.131: IP-EIGRP: Callback: address_command Ethernet0/0 0.0.0.0/32 sense 1

*Mar 1 01:50:13.124: is_up: 1 state: 4 sub state: 1 line: 1 has_route: True

*Mar 1 01:50:13.124: is_up: 1 state: 4 sub state: 1 line: 1 has_route: True

All those 0.0.0.0 addresses gave me a clue. In fact, the two routers that were producing these messages had unresolved ip address dhcp commands on their physical Ethernet interfaces. These were a by-product of the way I load my saved configurations in my lab by TFTP. It just so happened that the initial configurations for that particular lab had subinterfaces defined, but not the physical interface. So the physical interface kept the settings I had used to get the bootfile.

I put no ip address on the physical interfaces, and the messages stopped.

Now, can anyone tell me: does ip address dhcp retry once every 80 seconds. And can anyone explain what the message means now?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco