cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Debug tools

trobness1
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way I can look at the data going out a WAN port? I want to verify that data is flowing.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

The title of your post suggests that you are thinking of debug as the way to achieve what you are trying to do. I believe that there are several alternatives which would be better. Some are pretty simple and some are more complex. As a starter if you just want to verify that data is flowing you might track the input and output counters on the interface. Or if you want to verify that data is flowing you could turn on ip accounting and examine the statistics. Or you could turn on netflow and look at the netflow records. Or you could configure an access list that included only a permit ip any any (so it does not deny anything but the counter will show how many packets went through the interface), assign the access list inbound or outbound on the interface, and then use show access-list and check the counter of hits on the access list.

Using debug will put much more load on the router. And unless you force the interface to process switch debug will not see most of the traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

In addition to what Rick suggested, here is some insight on enabling netflow and identifying what traffic passes through. You may want to watch out on our CPU utilization while enabling netflow. Use a windows scientific calculator as appropriate as the port numbers are listed in hex.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080438a05.html

HTH

PS: please remember to rate helpful replies!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: