cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Decision between Cisco 2811 or 2821 or 3825? (GRE and IPSec)

montiburns
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community.

I hope you can help me, because searching the cisco.com site wasn't really helpful for solving my problem.

I have a customer, that wants to have a network deployed with about 15 locations. (up to 30 GRE and IPSec tunnels on each device)

Now I don't know, how many GRE- and IPSEC-tunnels a Cisco 2811 can handle.

Is it necessary to buy 2821 or 3825?

I hope that anybody of you can help me.

PS: I already tryied google and cisco.com

1 Accepted Solution
5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Monti,

I would suggest you to consider DMVPN as a possible solution.

There are some performance data in table 4.3 of the following

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/DMVPN_4_Phase2.html

Using at least a 2851 is recommended

Hope to help

Giuseppe

DMVPN would be a decision, but we have to make it with the traditional ipsec and GRE tunnels, because the customer is only part of a network witch 15 companys and they want it.

2811 would not survive with even 5 GRE over IPSEC tunnels unless you have an AIM VPN module on it. 3825 might survive the 15 GRE/IPSEC tunnels but again it would be just a comment without checking the exact configuration/traffic. I would agree with the above poster and would certainly look for DMVPN phase-1 config to have static point-point IPSEC tuneel between the HUB and the branch sites. Please make sure that you have AIM module on the routers before implementing it.

Thank you all for your urgent help.

I have now ordered some 3825 with AIM modules (3825 HSEC/K9 Bundle)

In the next time I want to set up a Lab with a DMVPN config, to get some Know-how on that issue.

Thanks a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: