Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Default disassociation interval settings (MU Timeout), Group Key updates...

I was searching the Cisco website trying to determine what the default settings are for the disassociation due to user inactivity. This is commonly known as "MU Timeout", referring to the amount of time allowed before a client is disassociated with an AP/Wireless controller.

The reason I'm asking about these default setting is that they can really affect the power needed by a battery powered wi-fi client. If that client has to wake up more frequently to communicate with the AP then it will certainly use more energy doing so. My gut feeling is that I'm not likely to see any disassociation intervals less than 10 minutes, but I have no data to back that up.

I was hoping to get some feedback from those on here who have expereince with these "nitty gritty" settings for both consumer grade and enterprise grade WAN installations. While the diassociation interval is certainly one item that could affect the battery life of my device, I'm also interested in hearing any other less-known of parameters or AP behaviors that could directly impact battery life (such as Group Key updates or an AP that expects a client to respond to certain "NULL" messages).

Thanks,

Nick

Views
Helpful
Replies