Views
Helpful
Replies

default gateway :: statice routes

iamtheone12345
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys ,

I am a VPN admin and i was going through some static routes configured on the internel interface of the ssl vpn box.

I saw the following entries:

Internal Port 

Status    Destination      Network/IP Netmask                    Gateway          Interface Metric (0-15)
default    5.x.3.0          255.255.252.0                            0.0.0.0                            0
default    0.0.0.0                0.0.0.0                                    5.x.3.3                            0

I thought the default routes all ways were like the second entry in the box.

Can some1 explain to me what the default route in the 1st entry means?Even if we consider the 1st entry as a static route why is the gateway 0.0.0.0?

I can ask my team lead but it would look silly as i am in the project for quite sometime and should have been aware of this.

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

i am not sure what type of device is this

but almost this means that your device advertising this route which mean it is localy route

hope this help

My main quetion here is why is the gateway 0.0.0.0.Seems like it has been done on purpose.

Any idea what purpose it could be for?

Arjun,

It's because the  network 5.x.3.0 is connected route on this box and doesn't have a next-hop. Hence the GW is 0.0.0.0

HTH

Regards

Kishore

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card