Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Default information originate in ospf

Hi

1) wrt ospf default information originate command can we configure the 'default information originate' command in only one router in a ospf area/process where in we have defined default route or in multiple routers.

2) default information originate should be configure only on ABR/ASBR or any non ABR/ASBR also.

3) Without a default route in a router where in we are advertising the default toute with " default information originate always "  command what route will be inserted as a default route with the next hop.

Please clarify.

Thanks & Regards,

Naveen

4 REPLIES

Re: Default information originate in ospf

Hi,

1) You can inject a default route on multiple routers. They are external routes, so you can inject them either as E1 or E2 (default). The selection process is the same as for other external routes. As the flooding-scope of external routes is AS-wide, the topology database then will contain all the injected default routes (exception: Internal routers in Stub-Areas).

2) Normally you would inject the default route on an ASBR, but this is not a requirement (always-keyword). However, this router should know how to reach the outside world.

3) The default route is advertised as a Type-5 LSA, so other routers can reach it through the originating ASBR.

Without the always-keyword (when a default-route exists), the Forwarding-Address in the Type-5 can be set to a non-zero address for path optimization under certain conditions (next-hop is reachable through a multiaccess-interface and an interface in that network is OSPF-enabled). But in the majority of cases, even with an non-zero forwarding address set, the next-hop of the path to the advertising ASBR will be used for the next-hop.

HTH

Rolf

[EDIT]: I don't know how much you already know about the treatment of external routing information in OSPF. Please feel free to ask further if my posting is not clear.

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for your explaination.

Still am confused with Question no.3

What is non zero forwarding address and without default route in ASBR what default route will be injected to AS and wjhat will be the nexthop.

Please clarify.

Naveen,

you're welcome!

After I've read Joseph's #3 answer (which is of course correct too), I think that I perhaps misunderstood the question.

We have to distinguish the router which injects the default route and other routers that receive updates with the Type-5 LSA for this default route.

The originating router won't install an OSPF default route, it is supposed to already know how to reach the outside world.So it advertises the default information to the other routers within the domain and those routers will normally calculate the next-hop by evaluating the path towards the originating ASBR and instal the resulting default route into their routing tables.

A special case is a non-zero forwarding address. This is a path-optimization mechanism to avoid unnecessary hops through the originating ASBR when a shorter path (in terms of hops, not routing metric) exists. However, the result of the next-hop calculation will be the same for most routers, especially when they are further away from the origin.

The "Description of OSPF Forwarding Address" section in the linked document provides a very good description:

Common Routing Problem with OSPF Forwarding Address

Sorry for the confusion.

HTH

Rolf

P.S.:

Joseph pointed out another good point in #2: As soon as you configure the default-information origiante command, the router will announce external routing information, so technically it is an ASBR then.

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

#1 Multiple allowed

#2 I believe the moment you inject an OSPF default, it logically "makes" the router an ASBR (if not already one).  As with any ASBR, it doesn't also need to be an ABR.

#3 I believe it won't - i.e. it will black hole default traffic

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content