Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Default qos class was dropping packet

Hi there,

I have configured the qos below on my cisco 7609 router:

class-map match-any REALTIME

match mpls experimental topmost 5

match precedence 5

match ip dscp cs3 ef

class-map match-any CONTROL

match mpls experimental topmost 6 7

match precedence 6 7

match ip dscp cs6 cs7

class-map match-any Gold

match mpls experimental topmost 4

match precedence 4

match ip dscp cs4 af41 cs6

class-map match-any SILVER

match mpls experimental topmost 1 2

match precedence 1 2

match ip dscp af11 cs2 af21 af31

!

policy-map CORE_Egress

class PE-REALTIME

priority

police rate percent 70

conform-action transmit

exceed-action drop

class PE-CONTROL

bandwidth remaining percent 4

class PE-GOLDEN

bandwidth remaining percent 70

class PE-SILVER

bandwidth remaining percent 20

class class-default

bandwidth remaining percent 5

Based on the MRTG graph, my link was peak at 70% and normally it remains below 40%. But, I noticead that my default qos class was dropping packet because the queue-limit was set to 2 packet by deafult. After, changed it to 50 packets, the default was no longer dropping packet.

My question is my link is not congested, but, what caused the queue-depth of 2 packets being overflow until it started to drop packet?

How do I know what kind of incoming traffic speed that will fill up the default queue depth of 2 packets?

1 REPLY
Super Bronze

Default qos class was dropping packet

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

An interface is congested anytime there's a packet waiting.  When an interface is congested, then the question becomes "how congested"?

An interface could be congested at 1% average utilization or not congested at 99% average utilization, i.e. MTRG usage doesn't always indicate whether an interface congests although generally it's more likely as utilization increases.

Views
Helpful
Replies