Views
Helpful
Replies

Default routes in an area

vpalania
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How are the default routes configured in one internal router transmitted to other internal router in an area ? Is it by Type 5 LSA ? Then it should be transmitted to all through the AS as Type 5.Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Vijay

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vijay,

As soon as an OSPF router originates a type-5 LSA that carries the default route it becomes an ASBR, even if it does not originate any other external routes.

If you try this out on a router, you will see that this router will now set the E-bit in its router-LSA (type-1 LSA), signifying that it considers itself to be an ASBR.

Paresh.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If you inject a default route by means of default-information originate, this will be carried to all non-stub areas in a type-5 LSA.

Paresh.

Hi,

For a router to generate Type 5 LSAs, it should be an ASBR.But, how come an ordinary router generate a Type 5 LSA to carry default route ? or Only ASBR router can advertise default route? Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Vijay

Nopes it is not needed for a Router to be ASBR to generate default. An ABR can generate a NSSA Default ROute ( The route will be N1 and N2 not E1 and E2). A totally stub area would have an IA default Route not an external default route which is genrated with default-information originate

Hi,

I am not talking about default route generated by ABR(as Type 3 LSA for Stubby Area and as Type 7 LSA for NSSA).I am just talking about the default route generated by a normal router inside a noram area.

I got the document:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801ec9f0.shtml

which says 'Default routes injected into a normal area can be originated by any OSPF router'

Thanks,

Vijay

Hi Vijay,

As soon as an OSPF router originates a type-5 LSA that carries the default route it becomes an ASBR, even if it does not originate any other external routes.

If you try this out on a router, you will see that this router will now set the E-bit in its router-LSA (type-1 LSA), signifying that it considers itself to be an ASBR.

Paresh.

Hi,

Thanks for your explanation.

Thanks,

Vijay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card