Views
Helpful
Replies

DEPLOYING A VOIP IN OUR NETWORK

tomocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

We are thinking of deploying VOIP in our LAN & WAN.

I just thought I should ask for input and advice from you all on how to deploy VOIP in our LAN and WAN.

We use 2800 series router, Router 870, Cisco 2960 & 2950 catalyst switches on our LAN.

Do I need any special hardware deployment in addition to what I have.

To deploy VOIP, do I need extra configuration than the normal configuration I use to support our data platform.

Can someone recommend material I can read on this subject.

Tom

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom

There is a ton of stuff at this link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns742/networking_solutions_program_category_home.html

Here there are design guides for deploying VOIP, QOS etc.

Few other things. I'm assuming you are asking about the QOS configuration rather than specific VOIP hardware/software which i'm not best placed to answer.

You do need QOS on your LAN regardless of the amount of bandwidth you have. A look at the QOS SRND using the above link will give you more than enough details on this.

Also you say you want to run it across the WAN. A lot depends on what type of WAN you have but you will need to talk to your provider to ensure they honour and prioritised traffic across their infrastructure. There will be a cost to this.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks so much.

I'll look up the link. It's good place to start.

I'll get back to you on my progress.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

This would depend on how many users you plan on having, and their phone use.

If you have 5-100 users or so (small deployment), you can turn your 2800 into a CME with some license/feature upgrades, and add a CUE module for voicemail. Then you would need some PVDMs and T1 PRI cards, and you would be mostly set for hardware. This would be low-redundancy though.

If you have a larger deployment or wanted more redundancy, you would need the full blown CUCM/Unity, some SRST probably, and a number of other things. The design guide posted by Jon looks like a good place to start. SRND's are your friend.

hth,

nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your inputs, even though most of the terms you mentioned are new to me.

I am looking up the design guide posted by Jon, I believe it will give me a good base to start.

Thanks.

Regards,

Tom

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card