cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

DHCP and DHCP relay and Routing Problem

hi,

i have 3(for example A, B, C) different site and all site is connected with the central site. so you can think of the start topology kind of stuff.

now i want to enable the DHCP server on siteA and i wanted to assign IP addresses to all the site from the DHCP server from site A. now assignment of the IP address is not problem... we can have static route or routing protocol running between the all the site and so each and every site is reachable to each other... but the routing of the packet as well as any of the host from any of the site is going to access the internet then it will creat the problem. as it will put the cunfusion on the central router to which site it should forward the data as all the site Hosts are in the same subnet and getting the ip from the same dhcp server.

one thing i can do is i can creat the multiple subnets of the same major subnets but client is preffering to have the centralise dhcp server. one possible solution is configuration of the dhcp server to the centeral site but agin i thing it will give the problem... so can any one guide me for the same...?

regards

Devang

6 REPLIES

Re: DHCP and DHCP relay and Routing Problem

If I understand correctly, You can us a Central DHPC server at the host. You will need to build seperate scopes for each site. The you will use the IP Helper Command to get the DHCP request to the server. I have attached a Link that will help with the IP helper command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_command_reference_chapter09186a0080087387.html#wp1018606

HTH

thanks for your response but i am looking for only single scope of DHCP.

and i want dhcp server at siteA.

regards

Devang

Hi Devang,

r u using dhcp relay agent?

see this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080440089.html

may this will help.

rgrds,

Hi hardi,

we have this DHCP project right now and our issue is where to place the DHCP server. just a follow up on ur reco, since Devang have 3 sites A,B and C and the plan is to have the DHCP server in A, does it follow that BOTH routers B and C have to be set up as relay agents? Please advise, thanks.

yes you need dhcp relay agents configuer on both the site in order to get the ip address from the single DHCP server but my issue is for routing as i am using the major network subnet for all site in startopoplogy and DHCP server is on one of the site of star topology not on the central router of the Star topology...

if you can able to give the more details of your toplogy then it will be very help ful to help you...

hope this can help you...

regards

Devang

Thanks Devang, for my topology, each site A,B, and C is on star with routers A,B, and C connected to the internet. The DHCP server is on LAN A. In your reco, having B and C as relay agents pointing towards A will solve my problem, did i get this right? Pls advise.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content