Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP client is not working in 831 cisco router

thiru.vel10
Level 1
Level 1

HI ,

I am having Cisco 871 router ISP is suggesting to put WAN interface is in DHCP mode So I have configured the IP address dhcp client ID in WAN ( fe/4 ). I am getting ip address and internet was fine after two day the internet is went down.

I have removed the configuration from WAN interface and I put it back that time the link is up and running. I have faced this same issue on three time. Please any on help on this

11 Replies 11

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you post your config? Take out all the necessary stuff.

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

WAN interface

interface FastEthernet4

description $ES_WAN$

ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet4

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

duplex auto

speed auto

IP router 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet4

Hi some one look on this issue and help mw out

get ride of the client ID unless that is something that was assigned to you.

ip address dhcp

John

I have tried that command but still I am having the same problem.

Thiru

Is this a PPPoE account? Can you post your config, and a debug of dhcp?

Can you do a:

sh ip int fa4

Please post results....

Thanks,

John

Already i have posted the configuration .

Hi,

I am using cisco 871 router, modem is directly connected to Cisco router wan interface, modem in bridge mode and I am putting DHCP mode in router wan interface. So IP address is getting from ISP and I am able to access the internet. That IP is mapped with my router WAN interface MAC address. But some time I am not able to get the IP address that time I am just removing and revert the config , after that I am getting IP address. My observation is some time router is not sending the request to ISP ? here with I am attaching the configuration for your reference

WAN interface

interface FastEthernet4

description $ES_WAN$

ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet4

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

duplex auto

speed auto

IP router 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fastethernet4

The only thing that I can tell you is that if it works after you remove and reapply the config is that you should run debugs on dhcp. I would try to leave the config, close and open the interface (shut/no shut), and see if you get an address again.

Check your cables too. We've seen some weird things happen with a flaky cable.

Hi have checked cable and I replaced the cable with new one. But I didn't ran the command Debug DHCP. Let me run and let you know. I have tried the command shut and no shut no luck same state only .

Hi,

One thing I want to share with you all. Wan interface status showing up after disconnecting the cable …. ..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco